top of page

Sunday January 10, 2021

Scottish Cup Round 2





Edinburgh City

Ouzy See 65


Ouzy See was Edinburgh City’s hero as the League Two side inflicted a second 1-0 defeat of the season on Airdrie to dump the Diamonds out of this season’s Scottish Cup.

With the draw made before kick-off, both sides knew that their reward for victory would be a third-round tie at Forfar’s Station Park, but it was James McDonaugh’s side who again took the spoils at the Penny Cars Stadium.

Eoghan Stokes started the match in a midfield berth for Airdrie, with Dean Ritchie the man to make way from the side that finished 2020 with a fine win over Clyde.

Former Diamonds loanee Josh Campbell lined up for the Citizens.

Both sides had a sight of goal as early as the third minute, with Stokes throwing himself in front of Marc Laird’s shot. The ball broke to Airdrie, with Craig Thomson leading the advance up the park but the midfielder’s shot from range was gathered by Calum Antell.

Lee Hamilton was next to have a go for the visitors, sending a 12th minute effort wide of Max Currie’s goal.

Josh Kerr stretched out a leg to break up a promising passing move involving See and Laird ten minutes later.

Thomas Robert was on the receiving end of a crude challenge from Hamilton midway through the half, with the City man perhaps lucky to escape with just a booking. Airdrie boss Ian Murray was ordered to the stand for his protests over the incident.

The Diamonds had lacked penetration in the opening half hour, but a nice passing move sent Thomson racing towards goal with a heavy touch seeing the ball drift behind.

City goalkeeper Antell was commanding as half-time approached, plucking a Robert free-kick and a Kyle MacDonald cross out of the air.

Thomson found himself to be the last line of defence in the last action of the half, losing out to See but recovering well to get a challenge in and stop the attack.

Airdrie created more after the break, Andy Black sliding in to poke the ball away from Dale Carrick as he lined up a shot before Robert struck a free-kick into the wall and lashed the rebound goalward only to see a deflection take it behind.

Sean Crighton raced across goal to block from ex-Livingston striker Raffaele De Vita on 64 minutes, but it was from the resultant corner that See grabbed the only goal of the game, angling a superb header into the top corner.

Griffin Sabatini, Euan O’Reilly and Ally Roy came on for the Diamonds as they looked to salvage the match, but City were happy to shut up shop with two players booked for timewasting as the clock ticked down.

With three minutes remaining Roy had a chance to bear down on goal, but his strike was deflected and Antell was able to beat the ball away.

MacDonald’s ambitious overhead kick in stoppage time was well off-target, and the Diamonds’ Scottish Cup involvement was over for another season.

Stuart Mathie at Penny Cars Stadium.

Photos © John Steven. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page