top of page

September 11, 2021

cinch League 1

Queen's Park






For the third time this season, Airdrie and Queen’s Park were unable to be separated over 90 minutes as the sides played out a 0-0 draw in their first league meeting at Firhill.

Both managers made changes from the previous meeting just eight days ago at the Penny Cars Stadium, with Max Currie, Scott Agnew, Calum Gallagher and Scott McGill coming back into the Diamonds starting line-up.

Queen’s Park reinstated League 1 Player of the Month Simon Murray alongside Willie Muir, Tommy Robson, Louis Longridge, Jack Thomson and Grant Gillespie.

With Airdrie still feeling the effects of the recent Covid outbreak alongside a number of injuries, midfielder Rhys McCabe deputised at the back after performing well there in the win over Peterhead.

The home side were first to threaten with a dangerous free-kick after three minutes, but Currie was alert to punch the shot clear.

Longridge had a go two minutes later, but his strike lacked conviction and drifted wide of goal.

Lewis Moore was next up for the home side, shooting well over from the edge of the area.

The Diamonds retaliated with Craig Watson probing down the right flank on a number of occasions, and Gallagher was unlucky to see goalkeeper Willie Muir pluck the ball from his feet after a 17th-minute cross had spun up off a defender.

Currie made a good reaction save from Liam Brown two minutes later, the midfielder sending in a snap shot after the ball had broken kindly off Rico Quitongo.

Both sides were getting most joy down the wings, but both found their opponents defending crosses well as the half wore on.

Adam Frizzell danced away from a number of challenges midway through the 45, but his pass to Gabby McGill was overhit.

Scott McGill produced a carbon copy of the move four minutes later, but again his final ball was too strong for namesake Gabby.

Murray shot wide on 34 minutes, but hit the target a minute later with a superb strike which Currie acrobatically tipped over the bar.

Gillespie then had a go, but his weak shot was easy for Currie to gather.

At the other end former Diamonds keeper Willie Muir performed similar heroics eight minutes from the break, parrying a stinging Frizzell strike before smothering the loose ball.

Frizzell almost opened the scoring four minutes later, shaving the post with a low strike after determined play from Gabby McGill to create the chance.

The second half started in end-to-end fashion, Muir palming out Frizzell’s cross with Gallagher unable to direct the loose ball home before Watson’s block denied Murray at the opposite end.

Dylan Easton shot wide on 58 minutes before directing another effort straight at Muir three minutes later.

McCabe’s quick thinking almost produced a sensational opener after 63 minutes, spotting Muir off his line and firing a free-kick goalwards from ten yards inside his own half. The Spiders keeper couldn’t get back in time, but the audacious strike went narrowly wide.

Currie fielded a Longridge header with 20 minutes remaining as the goalless draw began to look inevitable.

Substitute Jordan Allan offered some promising moments up front, squaring well on 82 minutes after Scott McGill’s pass picked him out, but nobody in an Airdrie shirt was able to provide the finishing touch.

Callum Fordyce joined the attack in the dying minutes, shooting wide before playing a part in a stoppage-time move which ended with Muir diving to save Frizzell’s low effort.

With a final corner for the home side cleared, the final whistle on another keenly-contested meeting between the sides.

A hard-earned point away to the league leaders for Airdrie, who return to action in Tuesday’s rearranged home fixture against Alloa Athletic.

Stuart Mathie at Firhill Stadium.

Photos © John Steven. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page