top of page

Thursday April 1, 2021

SPFL League One






Ally Roy 79

Match Gallery

Ally Roy’s late winner ended Airdrie’s losing streak as the Diamonds secured a massive three points against Dumbarton.

As Ian Murray’s side attempted to recover from three straight defeats since the League One restart, the manager once again rotated his starting line-up as the fixture calendar continues to move at speed.

Roy, Craig Thomson, Griffin Sabatini, Dale Carrick and Kyle Connell dropped to the bench following Tuesday night’s 2-0 loss at Cove Rangers, with Kyle Turner, Calum Gallagher, Thomas Robert, Dean Ritchie and Scott Walker stepping into the side.

Ex-Diamond Nat Wedderburn was named among the Dumbarton substitutes as the Sons also freshened up their team.

Airdrie were first to threaten in a first-half played in bright sunshine, Leon McCann winning a free-kick following a thrusting run down the left.

A tempting ball over the top from Turner took two defensive headers to see the ball safely back to Sons goalkeeper Sam Ramsbottom on 12 minutes.

Jack McKay showed good determination in closing down a 17th-minute clearance to create a chance for Gallagher, but the resultant corner kick came to nothing.

When Dumbarton did create a chance two minutes later, Max Currie got a strong diving punch on the ball to clear the danger.

A scrappy period of play followed which was almost lit up by a Ruaraidh Langan wonder-strike, but the midfielder watched his powerful drive fizz over the bar.

Half-chances fell to both sides as the half-time whistle approached, Euan O’Reilly’s cross headed behind for a corner before James Wallace turned in the box and got a shot away only to be denied by a good block.

Airdrie showed more attacking intent after the break, Robert’s through ball to Gallagher cut out by an outstretched boot before the Frenchman fired over the bar.

Substitute Dale Carrick made an intelligent dummy in the box on 59 minutes, but defender Morgyn Neill was on hand to stop the ball reaching Gallagher.

The home side’s desperation began to show as Jamie Wallace slammed into Currie after the Airdrie keeper had claimed a high ball, and the striker was booked by referee Gavin Ross.

Langan followed his team-mate into the book six minutes later after a late challenge on the impressive Turner.

With twenty minutes to play the usual raft of substitutions from either side took place, with striker Roy entering the fray.

Although the first half of his season was spent on the sidelines following a nasty wrist injury, Roy took only nine minutes to show the eye for goal which made him a stand-out in pre-season.

Paul McKay advanced down the right before feeding Thomson, who took on his man and swung in a perfect cross for the onrushing Roy, who headed emphatically past Ramsbottom.

Fellow substitute Connell was unlucky not to add a superb second two minutes later, lashing in an angled drive which whistled past the far post.

A spell of keep-ball followed for Airdrie as they frustrated their hosts, Turner and Connell protecting possession in the corner of the pitch.

Dumbarton’s frustrations spilled over in stoppage time as Ross Forbes lashed out at Thomson off the ball and was shown a straight red card.

The final whistle signalled a big win for the Diamonds, who have a rare weekend off before welcoming league leaders Falkirk to the Penny Cars Stadium on Tuesday.

Stuart Mathie at C&G Systems Stadium.

Photos © Stuart Mathie. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page