top of page

Saturday October 19, 2019

Ladbrokes League One





Callum Smith 3


Blair Lyons 16, 90+3

Graham Webster 31


Airdrie’s disappointing home form continued with defeat to Montrose after the Diamonds had surrendered an early lead.


As the second quarter of league fixtures got underway Ian Murray was forced into a number of changes with David Hutton, Adam Eckersley and Ally Roy joining the injury list. With Kurtis Roberts and Dale Carrick dropping to the bench, there were starting berths for Reece Willison, Leon McCann, Josh Kerr, Nat Wedderburn and Calum Gallagher.


After conceding inside three minutes, Stewart Petrie’s Montrose struck three times to gain ample revenge for their Links Park defeat back in August.


The home side got off to a great start after succession of long throws from Paul McKay led to the opening goal. McKay’s third-minute throw was nodded on by Sean Crighton with Josh Kerr heading the ball against the crossbar. As Montrose tried to clear the danger Callum Smith wasted little time in firing the loose ball into the net. 


Blair Lyons provided an early warning of his threat as he sent a seventh minute shot over the top of the home goal.


Paul Watson had a shot from distance deflected over the goal two minutes later, but the visitors levelled on 16 minutes with Lyons taking full advantage after cutting across the edge of the box from the left and following up with an excellent angled shot into the top corner of Reece Willison’s net. 


By the 31st minute Montrose had turned their deficit around and took the lead after a good piece of play from Lyons took him into the box then saw his shot pushed out by Willison, with Graham Webster on hand to send the ball into the net for their second goal.


Cammy Ballantyne then had his effort blocked three minutes from the interval, while Liam Callaghan fired a 20-yard shot well over Willison’s goal.


Gallagher collected a pass from Kyle MacDonald on the edge of the box then volleyed the ball over the top as Airdrie went in at the break a goal down.


On 63 minutes MacDonald’s 25-yard shot was wide of the target, while substitute Craig Johnston’s 69th-minute  effort also failed to threaten as the ball flew high over the crossbar. 


Andrew Steeves was next to have a go after 72 minutes with an attempt that was both high and wide, but goalscorer Webster came close to a third on 76 minutes for the visitors after getting on the end of a ball into the box and sending his header against Willison’s right post before the danger was cleared.


Montrose were comfortably managing their way towards the full-time whistle when a mistake at the back allowed Craig Johnston to take possession then pass to Lyons inside the penalty box, with the striker able to get his shot away for a stoppage-time third goal which guaranteed the points would return to Angus.


It was Montrose’s third league win in a row, while the Diamonds’ solitary league win at home this season is a cause for concern.  

John O'Brien at the Penny Cars Stadium.

Match photography by John Steven. Click images to view full size.

bottom of page