top of page

Saturday August 17, 2019

Ladbrokes League One





Kurtis Roberts 47

Dale Carrick 80

Calum Gallagher 90+2


David Goodwillie 2


Second half goals from Kurtis Roberts, Dale Carrick and Callum Gallagher saw the Diamonds turn around a half-time deficit and beat Clyde for the second time this season. 


Airdrie put behind them an indifferent first half combined with the loss of Adam Eckersley, and injected an energetic and attacking performance to ensure the fixture was a tale of two halves. 


Having lost to the Diamonds in the Betfred Cup group match when Clyde had displayed their scoring qualities late in the game, on this occasion they grabbed an early advantage after only two minutes when they pushed forward and won an early corner. The curling cross delivered by Chris Johnston picked out David Goodwillie and he headed the ball into the back of the net to provide an advantage that they held throughout the first half.


Tony Wallace sent a 25-yard effort over the crossbar while Airdrie lacked a cutting edge in the final third, although a superb run from deep by Sean Crighton in stoppage time led to a cross that eventually found Craig Thomson and his shot although on target was blocked, with Clyde clearing the any threat from the resulting corner. 


A half-time team talk led to a greater sense of urgency and closing down, as Airdrie started on the front foot after the restart.  


Within just two minutes of the restart good play down the right wing led to Kyle McDonald being able to move into space then deliver an excellent ball across the face of goal, with Kurtis Roberts racing in to place the ball past Clyde keeper David Mitchell and level matters.


Airdrie then pressed Clyde back and peppered their goal with headers on target.


Crighton’s nod back across goal on 50 minutes was met by Dale Carrick, whose header was taken cleanly by Mitchell. 


Seven minutes later Ally Roy’s header was also on target but again well taken by Mitchell and on the hour, Roy then had another header that lacked power and was comfortably taken by the Clyde keeper.


Crighton made a timely interception on 62 minutes as Clyde threatened in the penalty box.


A real melee followed an Airdrie free kick on 72 minutes when efforts from Carrick, Paul McKay and Callum Smith all struck the goal frame before the danger was cleared.


With quarter of an hour remaining, a long angled pass picked out Callum Smith and although he made his way into the box and got a shot away, it lacked the power to beat Mitchell.


On the 80th minute Gallagher, who had only been on the park for a minute, linked well down the left with Thomson and then sent a well-placed cross into the danger area as Carrick raced in to send the ball into for Airdrie’s second goal.


Thomson went down as he raced into the box on 87 minutes and was booked, while Goodwillie’s fall on 57 minutes which was waved aside had gone unpunished.


Into time added on, instead of any thought of wasting time, Thomson sent a free-kick into the box which was gathered by Gallagher who showed great strength to hold off his marker then proceeded to fire a spectacular overhead volley into the net past Mitchell for good measure.


The fightback was complete and gave the Diamonds a week of three wins on the bounce nd an undoubted confidence boost going forward.

John O'Brien at the Penny Cars Stadium.

Match photography by John Steven. Click images to view full size.

bottom of page