top of page

Tuesday August 13, 2019

Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup Round 2

Hamilton Acad. U21





Dale Carrick 14


The Diamonds progressed to the third-round of the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup thanks to Dale Carrick’s first goal of the season.


A strong start to the match saw Airdrie through, but an impressive young Hamilton team enjoyed plenty of second-half pressure.


Manager Ian Murray rang the changes after Saturday’s 1-0 win at Montrose, with Carrick, Josh Kerr, Calum Gallagher, Dean Hawkshaw, Kieran Millar and James Cowan returning to the starting line-up while Kyle MacDonald came in for his Diamonds debut.


Carrick got on the end of a cross into the box after two minutes and saw his header on target well saved by Accies keeper Luke Southwood who pushed the ball over his crossbar.


The visitors’ bright start continued after a decent Hawkshaw run on five minutes was followed by a pass to MacDonald, whose effort was on target but taken by Southwood. 


Carrick combined with Gallagher with 10 minutes gone but the striker fired his 20-yard shot wide of goal. 


Four minutes later though Carrick was on target to send the ball into the net past Southwood with the aid of a deflection, as Airdrie were allowed to continue with their threat when a free-kick just outside the box seemed likely to be called.


As the match wore on the Guillaume Beuzelin’s Hamilton youngsters started to pass the ball well and take confidence from the game.


On 31 minutes Kyle Munro sent a 25-yard shot wide of the target. Charlie Reilly was also wide of David Hutton’s goal with a 36th minute curling shot.


Airdrie could have had a second five minutes before the break after Paul McKay’s long throw was headed on with Gallagher just unable to get any contact on the ball at the back post, while Hawkshaw showed good control just before the whistle though he sent his 20-yard strike over the Accies bar.


After the interval Airdrie could only offer up a 51st-minute MacDonald shot from the edge of the box after a decent run by Craig Thomson from the right-hand side.


Munro missed a great chance minute later, with David Hutton then palming away a dangerous ball from Daryl Meikle.


The home side had a continued spell of pressure and Hutton made another good save on 64 minutes from Sean Slaven, turning the ball away for another Accies corner.  


As Airdrie defended deep, the home side had difficulty finding space in the final third and after good play by Reegan Mimnaugh in 78 minutes he sent his shot over the Airdrie crossbar.


Hamilton’s possession did not lead to an eventual breakthrough and in the end that single goal in the first half was enough to take the Diamonds through to the next round.

John O'Brien at FOYS Stadium

Match photography by John Steven. Click images to view full size.

bottom of page