top of page

Saturday September 7, 2019

Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup Round 3





Calum Gallagher 19, 72

Callum Smith 77


Scott Allardice 45+1

Luke Wade-Slater 74


A double from Callum Gallagher that sees him top the Diamonds scoring chart, and a goal from substitute Callum Smith, saw Airdrieonians knock out Bohemians and progress to the next round of the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup.


Bohemians travelled to Airdrie aware that they had knocked out Sutton United in last season’s competition, after the London side had beaten the Diamonds. 


Craig Thomson had an early 20-yard attempt on target after two minutes which keeper Michael Kelly pushed away for a corner.


In the opening ten minutes as the visitors started to get into the match, Robbie McCourt sent a long range effort well over the Airdrie goal and Keith Ward sent a curling shot wide while Paul McKay got on the end of a back post cross from Ally Roy and sent his header on to the top of the goal.


An excellent Thomson run down the left on 11 minutes was spoiled by a poor cross, however five minutes later Thomson did well to backtrack and block an angled shot on target from Scott Allardice. 


A nice passage of play led to Airdrie going in front with 19 minutes on the clock. A well-placed pass by Dale Carrick ball down the right sent Ally Roy racing in behind the visitors, with a well-placed cutback setting up Calum Gallagher to send the ball into the net past Kelly.


On 26 minutes Josh Kerr rose to head a Kyle MacDonald cross in front of goal but straight at keeper Kelly.


Two minutes later a good run and cross by MacDonald was followed by a fine ball across the face of Bohemians’ goal although Carrick sliding in, was unable to make contact.


The visitors threatened on 32 minutes when it took some fine defending, a strong tackle by Sean Crighton on Paddy Kirk then a block by Callum Fordyce from a Ryan Graydon volley, taking the ball flush in the face, to ensure their side’s lead remained intact.


As the clock ticked down there seemed little threat after Bohemians won a corner on the right in first-half stoppage time. A lack of concentration saw the visitors take a quick short corner across the line then send a cross into the box for Scott Allardice to fire home the equaliser from ten yards out.


Five minutes into the second half Thomson made a strong run cutting inside from the left then forced keeper Kelly into making a fine save from his angled shot.


On 57 minutes Airdrie were thankful for keeper Scott Gallacher who made a save from close range after Andy Lyons was picked out by a pass in behind the home back line.


After the half hour mark Airdrie enjoyed a prolonged spell of pressure. With 61 minutes played Gallagher fired straight at Kelly after making some space to shoot, a minute later following a counter-attack the ball came to Gallagher and his shot was blocked.


On 67 minutes Carrick’s ball across goal was well gathered by Kelly, but the second half burst into life when three goals were scored inside six minutes. 


Gallagher scored his own and his side’s second goal in 72 minutes to restore the Diamonds’ lead. He gathered the ball on the right then cut inside, going past his marker before curling the ball past a helpless Kelly into the top corner.


The Irish side showed an immediate reaction when they levelled again on 75 minutes, Luke Wade-Slater holding off the challenge from Kyle MacDonald to force the ball into the net. 


Airdrie provided their own reaction on 78 minutes. Substitute Callum Smith challenged defender Aaron Barry with the defender heading the ball back towards his own goal. Smith then raced in and as he saw Kelly advancing he lobbed the ball over the keeper for the winning goal.


Good game management saw the match out for the Diamonds and there was to be no third equaliser as Airdrie made progress into the next round.

John O'Brien at the Penny Cars Stadium.

Match photography by John Steven. Click images to view full size.

bottom of page