top of page

Saturday March 30, 2019

Ladbrokes League One

Brechin City





Kyle Wilkie 29

Scott Stewart 44

Leighton McIntosh 49

Goals from Kyle Wilkie, Scott Stewart and Leighton McIntosh saw the Diamonds power past Brechin to make it two wins on the trot.


Airdrie defeated City for the second time at Glebe Park this season to end the home side’s five-match unbeaten league run with an excellent win. It saw Ian Murray’s side put some distance between them and the clubs at the bottom end of the table


The Diamonds registered their best league result on the road in what was one of their best displays of the season, thanks to a real team effort from the first whistle to the last.


Airdrie took control of the proceedings early on as they peppered the Brechin goal in the opening 25 minutes before eventually breaking the deadlock.


With five minutes gone Josh Edwards linked with Wilkie and his pass inside to McIntosh saw him drill a low 25-yard effort wide of keeper Patrick O’Neil’s goal.


Two minutes later McIntosh was on target with a shot from the edge of the box which O’Neil gathered.


McIntosh had a third attempt in as many minutes and saw his effort go wide left. 


Wilkie was next up on the ten-minute mark but could only drag his shot wide of the goal. 


Darryl Duffy’s free kick on 12 minutes flew well over the Brechin goal as Airdrie searched for an opener.


Stewart had a couple of shots on 15 and 19 minutes but both failed to test keeper O’Neil. 


With 28 minutes played Stewart’s ball in from the right picked out McIntosh who turned his marker on the edge of the box before sending his shot wide of goal. 


Just when it seemed that the visitors might pay for their profligacy in front of goal, Wilkie rewarded the Diamonds with the opening goal on the 29-minute mark. He collected an Edwards throw in, gave himself some space then powered a curling strike up and over O’Neil, giving the keeper little chance as he back-pedalled to try and make a save.


Sean Crighton went close to grabbing a second on 32 minutes after his header from Wilkie’s free kick was well taken by O’Neil.


A defensive mistake ten minutes from the interval allowed McIntosh to gather the ball, race into the box and send off a shot at goal which O’Neil saved to keep his side in the game. 


Airdrie were not to be outdone though and grabbed a deserved second goal a minute from the half time whistle.


Wilkie’s corner picked out Crighton on the edge of the box and the Diamond’s captain flicked a header toward goal. Up rose Stewart, sending his header into the net for a two-goal half time lead. 


Three minutes into the second half David Hutton was called into action as he saved a low driven effort from Brechin’s Sam Jamieson.


Airdrie wasted little time in nullifying a possible reaction from the home side by scoring a third goal on 49 minutes.


Robertson’s throw-in from the right was headed clear out of the penalty box, but nodded back in again with McIntosh connecting with a well-struck volley to place the ball beyond O’Neil. 


This took the wind out of the home side’s sails and from then on the Diamonds managed the match comfortably.


Hutton gathered a threatening cross midway through the second half while Airdrie’s back line met every challenge head on, with Robertson enjoying a more advanced role in the closing 20 minutes.


Kieran Millar was prominent in the middle breaking any possible threat from the home side, while Josh Campbell followed up last week’s showing with another mature display.


Ryan Conroy came on for his 100th club appearance as both sides rang the changes as the match wore on.


An excellent result with the scoreline far from flattering at the start of a hectic week for the Diamonds. With the second best defence in the league, anything is possible after conceding only one goal in their last four matches. 

John O'Brien at Glebe Park.

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full size.

bottom of page