top of page

Saturday February 16, 2019

Ladbrokes League One





Brechin City

Andy Jackson 16

Airdrieonians paid dear for their profligacy in front of goal as Brechin City grabbed all three points after capitalising on a defensive error.

The defeat against one of the sides battling at the foot of the table leaves the Diamonds with only one win in 2019, as they continue to search for a return to form.

Airdrie failed to learn from a 12th minute interception by Craig Thomson in the middle the middle of the park as players were short in their passing, allowing Thomson to power into the box but send his shot off target.


Four minutes later Grant Gallagher's backpass was gathered by Andy Jackson who was able to race into the box. Despite attempts by keeper David Hutton to block the shot and by defender Sean Crighton to stop the ball as it rolled into the net, both were unable to stop Brechin going in front.


Jordan Sinclair almost rubbed salt into the wound a minute later, though his 20-yard effort was fired over the Airdrie goal.

Airdrie went on to enjoy the lion’s share of possession and created all the chances, but found the visiting keeper Patrick O’Neil in inspired form. 

With 20 minutes gone Josh Campbell fired a left-footed effort from outside the box which O’Neil saved at the post, sending the ball away for a corner.


From the resulting Ryan Conroy delivery, Crighton’s header was on target and was well saved by the keeper.


As Airdrie pushed for an equaliser Darryl Duffy was off target on 24 minutes, though two minutes later Leighton McIntosh met Kieran MacDonald’s cross and was also denied by O’Neil.


Sean Crighton had a netbound header well saved and Declan Glass had a terrific curling shot blocked by the Brechin keeper as the home side tried to get back on level terms.

After the interval the visitors remained determined to hold on to their single goal advantage and they did just that thanks to their deep defensive tactics.

The Diamonds did have the ball in the net on 62 minutes but Darryl Duffy was wrongly judged to have been offside after following up McIntosh's header which O'Neil turned the crossbar.

Ryan Conroy’s last minute 30-yard strike  was indicative of the match as a whole, looking netbound all the way with O'Neil stranded, but the ball cannoned off the underside of the bar and the visitors emerged with all three points. 

John O'Brien at Penny Cars Stadium.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page