top of page

Saturday April 13, 2019

Ladbrokes League One






Mark McGuigan 5

For the second time this season, Mark McGuigan scored the only goal of the game as Stenhousemuir consigned the Diamonds to defeat.


Having taken only one point from back-to-back home league matches, Airdrie’s outside hopes of a play-off spot now depend on results elsewhere.


The visitors were quicker to get underway and had a couple of early shooting chances from inside the box that were scorned.


With five minutes gone a Sean McIntosh slip allowed Conor McBrearty to make headway into the box before squaring the ball to McGuigan to sidefoot the ball easily into the net.


With 19 minutes gone Scott Stewart’s high ball over his shoulder gave Leighton McIntosh the chance to race forward and try to connect with the ball but he could only send his effort over the crossbar.  


Ten minutes from the break Kieran Millar tried to get on the end of a ball from the right but mishit his shot with the ball coming back out to McIntosh, who shot straight at Graeme Smith.


Stenhousemuir went close at the other end with Hutton making a last-ditch save from a corner that was swirling in on his goal. 


The Warriors’ keeper also saved well from a Josh Campbell shot after a good run by Leighton McIntosh had led to Kyle Wilkie’s 20-yard shot being blocked.  


Airdrie made a double change at the interval in an attempt to turn the match around.


When Hurst was clean through on goal six minutes after the restart with just Hutton in front of him, it took a decent save by the keeper to keep his side in the game.


Kieran McDonald clipped a couple of free kicks over the defensive wall, one on target taken comfortably by Smith and the other well over the goal.  


Dean Hawkshaw threaded a fine pass in for McIntosh in 67 minutes and his shot was again directly at Smith.


With something to hold on to the visitors packed their defence inviting Airdrie to break them down.


McIntosh had a chance to level in 68 minutes when substitute Dean Hawkshaw put him clear, but Smith again saved the shot.


Sean Crighton then had a header cleared off the line in 75 minutes, with the linesman signalling a goal but referee David Munro overruled his assistant.


In the end, the home side lacked the creative play to grab an equaliser as the visitors held on for the win.

John O'Brien at Penny Cars Stadium.

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full size.

bottom of page