top of page

Saturday November 3, 2018

Ladbrokes League One





Forfar Athletic

John Baird 82

Forfar Athletic gained their revenge for the Diamonds' late comeback earlier in the season at Station Park.


It was another former Diamond who scored the only goal of the game to separate the sides. 

The first real chance came on ten minutes when a Kieran MacDonald driven cross was shanked by Michael Travis although his keeper Marc McCallum rose to comfortably collect the ball.


Two minutes later a surging run by Dale Carrick saw the forward race from deep then fire his 20-yard effort wide to the left.


On 16 minutes after good hold up play by Carrick he rolled the ball wide for MacDonald and the full-back's cross saw the stooping Darryl Duffy well off target with his header.


A foul by Kyle Wilkie provided Forfar with a free kick on the edge of the box. Dylan Easton curled the dead ball over the crossbar. 


Dale Hilson was almost in behind Sean Crighton who was fortunate to get back and cover as Forfar threatened on 24 minutes.


Easton worked some space for himself inside the box in 28 minutes then wasted his good work by firing wide of goal.


Kieran Millar then won a break of the ball, racing forward only to fire well over McCallum’s goal with eight minutes of the half remaining. 

Some bright play on the left from Joao Victoria in 39 minutes led to a low driven cross and Kyle Wilkie sent a shot towards goal, but saw his attempt blocked while following up the rebound with a strike over the top of the goal.


When the second half got underway the visitors had chances early on.


On 48 minutes Hilson was in behind the home defence and David Hutton blocked with his legs, following up a minute later with a decent stop from Mark Hill.


Three minutes later Crighton was able to get back to clear the ball away from goal when Easton managed to get his shot past Hutton.


Scott Robertson made a good run down the right on 54 minutes but his near post cross was smothered by keeper McCallum.


Hilson broke forward and into the box on 56 minutes though his angled shot was taken by Hutton at his front post.


Ross Meechan’s pass in for Hilson on 69 minutes saw Hutton make another fine save at his feet.


Easton then weaved his way past Crighton on 72 minutes and once more Hutton was the hero with his late reaction save.

With eight minutes left John Baird broke the deadlock by latching on to a measured pass by Hilson as the home defence backed off.    


That single goal from the Loons saw Airdrie fall down the table with a second late home defeat in as many weeks.   

John O'Brien at Penny Cars Stadium

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full size.

bottom of page