top of page

Tuesday April 2, 2019

Ladbrokes League One





Dom Thomas 21

Calum Gallagher 75

Ross Forbes 82


Scott Stewart 27, 79

Darryl Duffy 32

A Scott Stewart double and a goal from Darryl Duffy earned another good point for the Diamonds in their late bid to make the play-offs. 


For the fourth time this season, the two sides could not be separated and ended the match with the points shared. 


As the early play swung from end to end Kyle Wilkie saw his eighth minute shot on the edge of the box blocked, while the Airdrie goal was threatened on 11 minutes after Cammy Ballantyne’s cross was met by Calum Gallagher, who headed wide of the target. 


Ross Forbes fired wide from distance a minute later. 


Scott Robertson was on the end of a headed clearance after quarter of an hour, but sent his powerful 20-yard shot over the crossbar. 


Gallagher went close for Dumbarton on 16 minutes, getting on the end of Craig Barr’s delivery, but David Hutton was there to gather the ball.


Scott Stewart’s 25-yard effort tested Grant Adam who also did well to make the save after 18 minutes.


The home side took the lead on 21 minutes after a quick free-kick by Forbes took Dom Thomas into the box, and his shot appeared to take a deflection as Hutton was beaten at the near post.


Airdrie reacted well and eventually levelled on 27 minutes after a Robertson throw was headed on by Sean Crighton, with Stewart heading the ball into the top corner of the net to beat Adam.


Josh Edwards was unable to make good contact on 31 minutes with his 20-yard shot which flew wide.


A minute later the visitors went in front with a well worked goal. Edwards picked out Wilkie in the middle of the park and he made ground before threading the ball wide for Leighton McIntosh, whose slide rule pass allowed Duffy to sidefoot the ball into the net.


Edwards and McIntosh had chances before the break but were unable to extend the Diamonds half-time advantage.


Dumbarton started the second half on the front foot as Bobby Barr flashed a close range effort wide and Forbes fired a long range shot just wide of goal.


However, it was Airdrie who went closest to scoring again on 64 minutes when Wilkie’s touch back for Stewart was followed by a powerful shot inside the box that saw Adam make a great block and keep his side in touch.


Bobby Barr and Gallagher combined on 67 minutes with Gallagher’s attempt blocked when an equaliser looked certain.   


15 minutes remained when Dumbarton made it 2-2 after a free-kick was headed across goal by substitute Boris Melingui and Ross Forbes scored.


Two minutes later Hutton did well to punch away another Forbes long range shot.


Both sides were making chances and from a superb counter attack, Edwards’ cross into the box found Robertson, who set up Stewart to slide the ball past Adam.


The advantage lasted three minutes after Forbes was given space to make ground then fire a low 30-yard shot into the net and square matters once again.


There was no further scoring and both sides had to settle for a draw once more.


Airdrie can look forward to their final head-to-head with East Fife - with an eye on the match between Arbroath and Montrose - this weekend.   

John O'Brien at the C&G Systems Stadium.

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full size.

bottom of page