top of page

Saturday April 28, 2018

Ladbrokes League One

Forfar Athletic

Ryan Conroy 77 pen

Greg Hurst 11

Mark Millar 80

Airdrie missed out on the opportunity to leap above East Fife in the League table, drawing their season to a close with a disappointing defeat to Forfar.


Both sides having went into the match under no pressure.


A misplaced backpass in the Forfar defence allowed Jake Hastie to head for goal but his shot from inside the penalty box saw Forfar keeper Marc McCallum dive to his left hand side and push the ball away for a corner.


Minutes later the big keeper had to react quickly and clear the threat of a through ball from Adam Brown.


After winning a corner on eight minutes Ryan Conroy’s back post cross deserved better as Jordan McGregor headed the ball straight into McCallum’s arms.


Forfar’s first venture around the Diamonds' final third saw them take the lead after 11 minutes. A simple ball through the middle allowed Dale Hilson to drag the ball away from Airdrie keeper Willie Muir then roll it in front of Greg Hurst to tap into the net.


Encouraged by their advantage the visitors went close on 18 minutes after Mark Millar’s angled effort was gathered at the near post at the second attempt by Muir.


Dale Carrick dived to meet a cross from the right midway through the half but his header was off target. 


Dylan Easton raced into the box with 25 minutes gone and forced Muir to make the save as he punched the ball away.


On-loan Motherwell pair Hastie and Watt linked up in 31 minutes with Watt’s 25-yard shot being turned around his post by McCallum.


Muir was alert to cleanly gather a 36th minute volley from Millar.


After the break a decent run from Brown saw him cut in from the left and drill a low shot just wide of McCallum’s goal


 Josh Edwards went down in the box in 57 minutes with play allowed to continue.


Three minutes later Airdrie defender Kieran MacDonald was harshly sent off after a challenge on former Diamond Jamie Bain was seen as denying a goalscoring opportunity. Easton’s free kick was sent well over the top of Muir’s goal.


Watt and Hastie combined again with some neat passing play and Hastie's shot was another to rise over the goal frame.


13 minutes remained when Airdrie levelled matters from a Ryan Conroy penalty after Hastie was brought down by Bain. Conroy sent the Forfar keeper McCallum the wrong way to make it 1-1.


Forfar though were quickly back in front. A Millar free kick was curled over the wall into the net with ten minutes remaining. 

As Airdrie tried to get back on terms they came close in the final stages. Initially Dale Carrick was unable to connect with Dan Higgins' ball across the face of goal then as play continued Hastie saw his netbound effort cleared off the line as Forfar went on to take the three points.  

Referee: Mr Gavin Ross

Attendance: 730

John O'Brien at Excelsior Stadium

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full size.


1. Muir

2. Higgins

3. Edwards 

4. MacDonald ​​

5. McGregor 

6. Watt

7. A Brown 🔽 (61)

8. Conroy ⚽

9. Carrick

10. Russell 🔽 (84)

11. Hastie

12. Cairns 🔼 (61)​

14. R Brown

15. Fry 🔼 (84)​

16. Leighton

17. Kerr

18. Truesdale

Forfar Athletic

1. McCallum

2. Bain 

3. MacKintosh

4. Whyte

5. Travis

6. Millar ⚽

7. Maciver

8. Dingwall

9. Hilson

10. Easton 🔽 (90)

11. Hurst ⚽🔽 (75)

12. Peters 🔼 (75)​

14. Starkey 🔼 (90)​

15. Allan

16. McNaughton

17. Brotherston

18. Kennedy

21. Adam

bottom of page