top of page

Tuesday March 20, 2018

Ladbrokes League One

Alloa Athletic

Darryl Duffy 18

Dan Higgins 45

Garry Fleming 45+2 pen

Jordan Kirkpatrick 67

Darryl Duffy’s fabulous strike and Dan Higgins' volley were only enough to earn a point for the Diamonds as Alloa came from two down to force a repeat of Saturday's 2-2 scoreline. 


Both sides went with the same starting line-up as at the Indodrill Stadium.  


Steven  Hetherington fired the first shot in earnest after six minutes when the midfielder lashed a shot from inside the box just wide to the right of Willie Muir’s goal.


Team-mate Jordan Kirkpatrick sent a 20-yard effort wide of the target two minutes later but following a fine lay off by Darryl Duffy, Ryan Conroy curled a fine shot from 15 yards in nine minutes that looked netbound only to rise over Neil Parry's crossbar.


Jake Hastie’s early reaction saw him create space on the 18-yard line only to send a mishit effort wide of the Alloa goal.


With the game becoming a little tense because of the recent familiarity, Duffy lit up the game with a fantastic strike on the 18 minute mark.


Picking the ball up just inside the Alloa half on the left side of the pitch, the striker raced away from any challenge and towards the Alloa penalty area before blasting an unstoppable shot into the net from 25 yards, leaving former Airdrie keeper Parry with no chance.


A long ball forward from the Diamonds penalty box saw Alloa defender Garry Fleming go through the back of the Airdrie scorer as he rose to head the ball in the middle of the park, and after a lengthy period of treatment Duffy left the field on a stretcher.


When the game restarted with 28 minutes played Kevin Cawley had a turn and shot for goal that only just missed Muir’s right post. 


Parry saved well from Dale Carrick after being set up by Scott Stewart in 32 minutes while Muir was equal to Iain Flannigan’s snap shot in 38 minutes taking the ball with a high catch.

The closing minutes of the first half saw a lot of activity.


Daniel Higgins doubled Airdrie's advantage on 45 minutes, volleying home a loose ball in the box from Conroy’s corner from ten yards out.


With four minute of stoppage time played due to Duffy's treatment, a penalty was awarded at the other, much to the surprise of the visitors who had made little claim. Goalscorer Higgins was booked as a result. Fleming netted from the spot.

Just before the break Stewart raced in behind the Alloa rearguard and his shot was blocked by Parry while substitute Cammy Russell ‘s follow-up was cleared off the line. 

Five minutes after the break Kirkpatrick came close to equalising but could only send the ball wide of Muir’s goal.


A minute later Kieran MacDonald linked well with Hastie down the left but Hastie’s attempt on goal was straight at Parry.


Flannigan ran into the penalty box on 53 minutes, going to ground at the Airdrie defenders touch. Another Alloa spot kick rssulted, but on this occasion Fleming fired the ball against the crossbar with the danger from the rebound cleared.


The visitors were looking to punish the hesitation in the home defence and Kirkpatrick levelled matters in 67 minutes, picking up a simple ball over the top of the defence and picking his spot past Muir.

There were some close calls in the closing stages but no further goals meant a repeat of Saturday’s final outcome.

Referee: Mr Scott Millar

Attendance: 516

John O'Brien at Excelsior Stadium

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full size.


1. Muir

2. O'Neil 

3. MacDonald

4. Higgins ⚽ 

5. Brownlie 

6. Cairns 🔽 (72)

7. Stewart 

8. Conroy 🔽 (84)

9. Duffy ⚽ 🔽 (25)

10. Carrick

11. Hastie

12. R Brown 🔼 (84)

14. McGregor

15. McIntosh

16. Watt 🔼 (72)

17. Ferguson

18. Russell 🔼 (25)

19. Edwards

Alloa Athletic

1. Parry 

2. Taggart

3. Crane

4. Graham

5. McCart

6. Fleming ⚽ 🔽 (90+2)

7. Cawley 🔽 (68)

8. Hetherington 

9. Stewart

10. Kirkpatrick ⚽

11. Flannigan 🔽 (71)

12. Renton

14. Robertson 🔼 (90+2)

15. Smith 🔼 (68)

16. Crossan 🔼 (71)

17. Goodwin

21. Wilson 

bottom of page