top of page

Saturday November 18, 2017

William Hill Scottish Cup Round 3

Cove Rangers

Jordan McGregor 33

Jake Hastie 49

Harry Milne 36, 89

Scott Ross 86

Airdrie crashed out of the William Hill Scottish Cup at the first hurdle as two late Cove Rangers goals sent the Highland League leaders through.

The Diamonds were one of three League One sides who were on the end of a highland knockout after losing the lead twice.  


It was Airdrie who had dominated possession for the major part of the first half but their passing play was too passive to break down a hard working Cove defence.


Early on a hopeful ball in the box saw Scott Stewart challenge with keeper Stuart McKenzie with the ball breaking to Willis Furtado, whose lob back in was on target but lacked power and was cleared.


Any attempts at goal by both sides had been off target, and it took centre back Jordan McGregor to break the deadlock in the 33rd minute.


Stewart’s challenge had seen the ball break to McGregor midway inside the Cove half and after carrying the ball forward he unleashed a terrific 30-yard effort into the net past Stuart McKenzie.


Cove Rangers levelled three minutes later. Airdrie failed to heed the warning after keeper Kelby Mason made a decent save from Mitch Megginson’s shot inside the box to send the ball for a corner. Although the subsequent delivery was cleared to the edge of the box, Scott Ross sent the ball towards goal and Harry Milne fired it high into the net.


Dean Cairns reacted to a back post ball as half-time approached only to see his efforted bounce back off the bar. Furtado could only head the rebound into the keeper’s hands.   

Airdrie restored their lead five minutes after the restart when Furtado and Cammy Russell linked well to provide Jake Hastie with the ball on the corner of the area, and he fired in an angled shot low to the corner of the net.


After 67 minutes Jamie Masson cut inside from the left then curled a fine effort that struck Airdrie’s crossbar and was cleared.


Jonathan Smith headed the ball over the crossbar with the goal gaping in 85 minutes following a chipped cross from the left.


A minute later  Cove Rangers did equalise when Scott Ross rose high to head the ball over the advancing keeper Mason.


A minute remained when Milne rose to head home the visitor’s third at the back post from a corner delivery and while Hastie had a shot cleared off the line in stoppage time it was to be Cove in the next round of the cup.


Referee: Mr Steven Reid

Attendance: 439

John O'Brien at Excelsior Stadium.

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full size.


1. Mason

2. McIntosh

3. MacDonald

4. Cairns 🔽 (78)

5. McGregor ⚽ 

6. Fry

7. Stewart 

8. Conroy

9. Russell  🔽 (82)

10. Furtado

11. Hastie ⚽

12. Brown 🔼 (78)

14. Allan 🔼 (82)

15. Higgins

16. Edwards

17. Kerr

18. Truesdale

19. Cowie

Cove Rangers

1. McKenzie

2 .Redford 

3 .Milne ⚽⚽ 

4. Strachan

5. Watson

6. Ross ⚽

7. Burnett 🔽 (82)

8. Campbell

9. Megginson

10. Masson

11. Scully 🔼 (73)

12. McManus

14. Smith 🔼 (82)

15. Stott 🔼 (73)

16. Gray

17. Robertson

18. Lawrie

19. McCafferty

bottom of page