top of page

Saturday March 17, 2018

Ladbrokes League One

Alloa Athletic

Iain Flannigan 22

Kevin Cawley 40

Dale Carrick 29

Darryl Duffy 58

The strike partnership of Carrick and Duffy were both on target as the Diamonds took a well-deserved point from the Indodrill Stadium in the first of two back-to-back league meetings with the Wasps.


Both sides served up a real end to end game as occasional snow showers and a strong wind played a part.


Alloa went close to taking an early lead in the first minute after former Diamond Jordan Kirkpatrick ran in behind the hesitant Airdrie back-line, however Dean Cairns and Willie Muir were able to combine to block the midfielder’s attempt for goal. 

A foul on Jake Hastie provided Kieran MacDonald with a free kick opportunity which the full-back clipped over Neil Parry’s crossbar after eight minutes.


Neat control of a through ball on the edge of the box saw Kirkpatrick mishit a shot wide to the right of Muir’s goal.


Some really good build up play between Carrick, Duffy and Hastie set up Ryan Conroy on 12 minutes but his shot was too direct and taken by Parry.


A good run by Hastie set up Carrick who sent his effort wide minutes later, before former Albion Rovers striker Ross Stewart linked well with Iain Flannigan who fired the home side in front in 22 minutes.


Airdrie levelled six minutes later. MacDonald and Hastie, who had linked so well throughout the half, combined down the left and Hastie’s cross was headed home by Carrick for the equaliser. 

Airdrie had a great chance to get in front on 34 minutes after pressure from the visitors saw Parry bring down Duffy inside the box. Conroy’s penalty was saved by the former Airdrie keeper.


The home side punished the Diamonds when Kevin Cawley cut in behind MacDonald and fired the home side on front five minutes from the break.


Only a superb save by Muir minutes from the interval ensured that the single goal margin remained at the break.


Duffy latched on to a David Brownlie header but his effort lacked power in 51 minutes and Parry gathered.


Carrick’s near post header from Hastie's cross was well taken by Parry four minutes later.


There was nothing the former Diamonds could do on 59 minutes when a fantastic passing movement was finished off when Carrick set up Duffy, who powered the ball into the net from 20 yards out. 


A wonderful Brownlie challenge on Ross Stewart when a goal looked certain saved the day for the Diamonds two minutes later.

Both sides had chances to break the deadlock with Callum Crane's 40-yard volley striking the crossbar with 20 minutes left.

In the end the points were shared with another meeting a few days away. 

Referee: Mr Graham Beaton

Attendance: 526

John O'Brien at the Indodrill Stadium

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full size.

Alloa Athletic

1. Parry

2. Taggart

3. Crane  ​

4. Graham  ​

5. McCart

6. Fleming ​ 🔽 (71)

7. Cawley ⚽ 

8. Hetherington  ​

9. Stewart

10. Kirkpatrick 🔽 (70)

11. Flannigan ⚽ 🔽 (74)

12. Renton

14. Robertson 🔼 (71)

15. Smith 🔼 (70)

16. Crossan 🔼 (74)

17. Goodwin

21. Wilson


1. Muir

2. O'Neil

3. MacDonald

4. Higgins

5. Brownlie

6. Cairns  ​

7. Stewart 

8. Conroy 

9. Duffy ⚽

10. Carrick ⚽

11. Hastie

12. R Brown

14. McGregor

15. McIntosh

16. Watt

17. Ferguson

18. Russell

19. Edwards

bottom of page