top of page

Saturday September 16, 2017

Ladbrokes League One

East Fife

Mark Docherty 45 pen

Mark Docherty's penalty was enough to give East Fife a win which saw them leapfrog Airdrie in the league table.


With just a minute gone poor defending by the visitors allowed Jake Hastie to collect the ball and race into the penalty box but his cut back across the face of goal for Willis Furtado was overhit.


Two minutes later at the other end a smart turn by Kyle Wilkie was followed by a decent shot that Rohan Ferguson pushed around his post.


As Airdrie continued with early pressure a Scott Stewart run down the right was blocked while Hastie again raced to the line but his cross was too strong once again.


With 11 minutes gone Ryan Conroy’s 20 yard free kick lacked power and was comfortably taken by keeper Mark Hurst. 


Greg Hurst was wasteful in 14 minutes when he volleyed the ball from a cross into the box high well over the goal frame.


Tom Fry tried a snap shot in 24 minutes from 25 yards but sent the ball wide of Hurst’s goal.


A minute later Nathan Flanagan cut inside from the right and fired the ball high over the goal.


With 27 minutes on the clock Furtado picked up a loose ball but sent his 20 yard effort failed to trouble the East Fife goal.


On the half hour Greg Hurst did well to bring out a good save by Ferguson, while six minutes from the break Hastie broke quickly but sent his effort well over the goal frame as neither side looked as if they were going to break the deadlock.


In the last minute of the half referee Greg Aitken judged Luke Watt’s challenge on Wilkie as a foul and awarded a spot kick with Mark Docherty dinking the ball into the net.


Airdrie went close to equalising immediately after the restart after a Conroy corner was headed back across goal by Jordan McGregor with David Brownlie failing to connect cleanly.


Fry sent a curling effort just wide of Hurst’s goal in 54 minutes while Stewart did so well on the right to keep the ball in play but Ryan Tierney’s cross was misplaced when a clear chance looked on the cards.


A double change for the Diamonds appeared to be having an impact, but the home side were reduced to ten men in 71 minutes after Hastie was booked for perceived simulation and shown an immediate second yellow for his continued protests.


East Fife had the advantage but it was Jordan Allan who showed a great reaction two minutes later as he forced keeper Hurst into a goal line point blank save from a delivery from the right.

The visitors were content to see out the match with both sides unable to find the net from open play.

In the end it saw the hosts drop down the league as a result.


Referee: Mr Greg Aitken

Attendance: 783

John O'Brien at Excelsior Stadium.

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full size.


1. Ferguson

2. Stewart 

3. MacDonald

4. Brownlie

5. McGregor

6. Conroy 🔽 (80)

7. Hastie ▊ 

8. Watt 

9. Tierney 🔽 (68)

10. Fry 🔽 (68)

11. Furtado

12. Allan 🔼 (68)

14. Cairns

15. Edwards

16. Russell

17. Kerr

18. Thomson 🔼 (68)

19. McIntosh 🔼 (80)

East Fife

21. M Hurst

2. Dunsmore 

5. Page

6. Watson

18. Linton 

3. Docherty ⚽

11. Wilkie  🔽 (70)

12. G Hurst

15. Millar

19. Flanagan 🔽 (45)

9. Duggan 🔽 (82)

1. Goodfellow

4. Kane 🔼 (82)

7. Lamont

8. Slattery 🔼 (45)

14. Wilson

20. Reilly 🔼 (70)

77. Willis

bottom of page