top of page

Saturday September 24, 2016

Ladbrokes League One





Albion Rovers

Paul Willis 2
Mark Ferry 33


Airdrieonians unimpressive run of results was extended to five matches without a win in the Monklands derby.

The victory for Albion Rovers was their first league success in 70 years in Airdrie.

One point from successive home matches has seen the Diamonds drop to seventh spot in the league.

Although the Diamonds had started the match with some purpose, the first half belonged to the visitors who scored twice, with Airdrie keeper Rohan Ferguson the busier of the two in the first 45 minutes.

Two minutes in Rovers the quickest goal of the day in Scotland. Scott McBride's corner kick delivery raced along the ground with Sean McIntosh missing his attempted clearance at the front post and Paul Willis bundled home from inside the six yard box to open the scoring.

With five minutes gone Andy Ryan weaved into some space and from 25 yards out sent in a shot that Ross Stewart turned away.

Adam Brown fired a shot from inside the box against Stewart’s right hand post after 10 minutes with the rebound being cleared.

Rovers though went close to adding to their goal in 16 minutes after Steven Boyd sent in an angled shot which Ferguson ushered away at his near post.

Former Diamond Ryan Wallace hit a well struck effort from 25 yards on the half hour and once again Ferguson was called upon to make the save.

Rovers were able to grab a second in 33 minutes after Mark Ferry was given ample space and time to drill the ball low from about 25 yards and it flew through a crowd of players into the net to double the visitors' advantage.

Joe Gorman replaced Sean Macintosh at the break and while the tempo of Airdrie’s game showed a distinct improvement there was little evidence of being able to make a breakthrough and reduce the deficit.

Stewart saved comfortably from Brown’s long range shot in 53 minutes.

Iain Russell picked up a second yellow card for apparent simulation inside the box after 65 minutes which, coupled with his first half caution for dissent, led to referee Crawford Allan flashing the red card.

Rovers were able to stand firm inside their own half with the ten men of Airdrie showing little invention to break their backline, while Darren Young's men could have inflicted more damage had they been more creative in their counter attacks.

The three points and the margin of the victory took the Coatbridge side above Airdrie on this historic day.

John O'Brien at New Broomfield.

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page