top of page

Saturday December 17, 2016

Ladbrokes League One





Dale Carrick 10
Nicky Cadden 89


Match Gallery

A goal in each half was enough for Livi to extend their lead at the top of League One to ten points.

With Daniel Boateng and Andy Ryan suspended for Airdrie, Murray Loudon and John Higgins were recalled from their loan spell at Cumbernauld.

Scott Stewart returned to the starting line-up for the top of the table clash alongside Kevin Schmidt.

The home side scored early and late to take all three points, triumphing over the Diamonds for the third time this season while Mark Wilson's revamped side lost their third game in a row despite an encouraging display.

Airdrie were taking the game to their hosts when they fell behind after 10 minutes. Ryan Conroy and Iain Russell threatened with shots from outside the box before Livi took the lead.

Rafaele De Vita was allowed to cut inside from the right before picking out Dale Carrick in front of goal and he fired the ball past Rohan Ferguson to open the scoring.

Carrick had a chance to score form inside the box in 24 minutes from what appeared to be an offside position but he sent the ball wide of the target.

The surface was cutting up badly and did not allow for much passing football while both sides failed to provide real threat in their opposition final third in the first half.

After the break the home side appeared content with the lead held and to play on the counter attack.

Airdrie tried hard to create openings with the robust home rearguard maintaining their discipline.

The Diamond looked extremely lively after Murray Loudon came on as he chased every ball, winning a corner after 74 minutes and after it was headed clear the ball back in was flicked on by Russell with no takers.

A decent run by Conroy was followed by Adam Brown’s header with the ball being taken by Liam Kelly under the crossbar with seven minutes remaining.

Livingston were met by some resolute defending minutes from time as block tackles and a goal line clearance maintained the single goal margin.

However, a minute from time Nicky Cadden had an easy finish from inside the six yard box after Ferguson had made a fine save from a Josh Mullin effort as the home side countered with pace.

With a ten point lead almost on the halfway mark, David Hopkin's men have a healthy advantage in the title race.

John O'Brien at the Tony Macaroni Arena.

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page