top of page

Sunday July 19, 2015

Meldrum Cup final

Dalbeattie Star




Muir 90


Trialist 70

Airdrieonians win 4-2 on penalties

Match Gallery

The Diamonds start the season with some silverware in the trophy cabinet after overcoming Dalbeattie Star to lift the Meldrum Cup.

No less than seven of Airdrie's starting line up have yet to come together for competitive action, while the Lowland league opposition certainly looked up for the cup.

With ten minutes on the clock Šumský picked out the trialist centre-forward, but he headed wide of goal

4 minutes later there was some danger around Parry's box with the Dalbeattie players dwelling too long and not getting a shot in, allowing van Zanten to gather possession and take the ball away from danger.

At the other end Cox worked hard to win the ball and pass to Morton, but his 25-yard effort flashed wide of the goal at the height of the crossbar.

Dallbeattie enjoyed a decent spell of pressure midway through the first period, winning three successive corners that were cleared by Parry then Lithgow, then went close to breaking the deadlock in 21 minutes when striker Muir raced into the box and sent the ball past Parry but against his back post.

2 minutes later Parry was alert to push the ball away for a corner from a dangerous curling free kick under the bar.

5 minutes from the interval after a foul on the Diamonds trialist forward, Šumský could only send the free kick into the wall.

There seemed a greater intent after the break from Airdrie who needed to up their game to threaten Dalbeattie and break down their system.

Watt showed something different with a strong run in 49 minutes from the halfway line, taking on opponents until being crudely stopped.

Šumský took the free kick but once again hit the wall with a deflection taking the ball for a corner that came to nothing.

Dalbeattie had a couple of efforts early in the second half, both from Lewis Todd. The first effort in 55 minutes was easily taken by Parry, while 4 minutes later Todd's 20 yard shot had power but was wide of goal.

Airdrie substitutes Watt and Prunty were linking well and bringing the trialist centre forward more into the match.

Gary Bollan’s side took the lead in 70 minutes when a fine through ball from Watt allowed the big trialist to race in on goal and pass the ball past the opposition keeper.

4 minutes later an angled crossfield ball from Šumský picked out Prunty, who struck a sizzling volley just wide of the target.

Into the last 5 minutes and Watt’s splendid through ball enabled Prunty to race in behind the Dalbeattie defence however his net bound shot saw the Dalbeattie keeper make an exceptional save to push the ball over the cross bar.

Into time added on and Airdrie's ineffectiveness in clearing their lines allowed a late equaliser after the ball was struck through a ruck of players past a helpless Parry. Scorer Tommy Muir's effort was the last kick of the ball as the referee blew for time up.
Straight to spot-kicks and Dalbeattie missed their first two attempts with Parry diving low to his right with the first, and the second being blasted against the crossbar.

Prunty, van Zanten and Watt made it look easy as they gave the keeper no chance and while the opposition netted their third and fourth, up stepped Jamie Bain to hammer the ball into the net for a 4:2 success.

John O'Brien at Loch Park.

Photographs © John Steven. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page