top of page

Saturday July 18, 2015

Meldrum Cup semi-final

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy





Prunty 31
Šumský 44

Match Gallery

Airdrie disposed of Kirkintilloch Rob Roy and progressed to the Meldrum Cup final thanks to first-half goals from Bryan Prunty and Nicolas Šumský.

The Diamonds started the tie with a mixture of experience and some of those players who lifted the Under 20 league title last season.

Although faced with a strong breeze they were able to control the first half and restrict their opponents to very threatening moments around their own goal.

With 7 minutes gone a free kick some 20 yards out provided Cadden with an opportunity for the first real shot on target but although he curled his effort over the wall, it was far too high to trouble the Rob Roy keeper.

Watt was doing well wide on the right and delivered some decent crosses, even going close himself in the 16th minute but his shot was wide of the target.

Midway through the half Prunty appeared to be taken down inside the penalty area but play was allowed to continue as last season’s top scorer slowly got back to his feet.

On the half hour a fine run on the right by Airdrie's Trialist was followed up by an angled shot that had the keeper beaten, but it struck his right hand post and was cleared upfield.

The Diamonds did open the scoring a minute later though when Šumský threaded a fine pass for Prunty to take into the penalty box before drawing the keeper and curling the ball into the net for the opening goal.

Almost on the break Šumský went from setting up the goal to netting the second. Good control and play by Watt on the right led to some room for a cross and his delivery was pinpoint to the back post for Sumsky to race in and head the ball into the net.

Six half-time changes impacted upon the flow of the match, and former Diamond Kevin Watt was introduced by for the opposition.

Chances after the break were few and far between with McAleer racing on to the ball in 55 minutes and taking it away from the keeper, but from a tight angle he sent a shot that caught the post on the wrong side.

In 65 minutes a McAleer cross was met by Cox inside the area, but his header sent the ball wide of the target.

The first half goals were enough to send Airdrieonians into the final, where they will face Dalbeattie Star who beat hosts Glenafton Athletic 5-2 in the day's other tie.

John O'Brien at Loch Park.

Photographs © Stuart Mathie. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page