top of page

Saturday August 8, 2015

Ladbrokes League One





Forfar Athletic

Templeman 2


The Diamonds kicked off their league campaign by conceding the earliest goal of the day, then found the visitor’s keeper in fine form when they eventually get going after the interval.

Airdrie were looking to go one better than last season, targeting a play-off place while Forfar aimed for a repeat of a top four spot, even though they missed out on promotion.

With less than 90 seconds gone, Dick Campbell’s side grabbed an early advantage.

Danny Denholm raced past Jamie Bain on the left hand side and his cross picked out Chris Templeman who was able to head the ball past Neil Parry low at his left post.

They went close to adding a second goal five minutes later when Kevin Fotheringham gained possession of the ball from defender Sean Crighton, then delivered a cross from right. Denholm then sent a low driven shot from 10 yards which was well saved by Parry.

With ten minutes gone Alan Lithgow flashed a shot from the edge of the box wide of the target after some home pressure.

The visitors dominated the opening half and had the bulk of the opportunities.

After 28 minutes, Iain Campbell’s attempted 25-yard shot for goal lacked any power, and the ball was taken comfortably by Parry.

Six minutes later Templeman and Bryan Hodge combined with the latter firing a weak effort at goal, again taken easily by Parry.

Three minutes from the break Taylor Morgan looked set to latch on to a loose ball in the box, only to see Kevin Nicoll race in and blast the ball away for a corner that came to nothing.

After the break Liam Watt replaced Morgan with David Cox moving forward, and the change led to Airdrie creating some had excellent chances.

Cox chased what appeared a lost cause in 53 minutes, which led to Forfar keeper Rab Douglas blasting the ball against him and back wide of his goal.

Airdrie were enjoying much more of the ball in the visitor’s final third of the park. With 55 minutes gone a decent Jamie Bain back post cross was headed back across goal by Bryan Prunty to Watt. Watt then powered a volley from ten yards only to see his effort superbly blocked by Douglas.

The play was flowing end to end as Parry then made an excellent stop after Gavin Swankie raced in on goal two minutes later, with just the keeper to beat.

Douglas pushed a Prunty 10-yard volley over the crossbar in 62 minutes, after Jordan Morton’s cross picked him out in the box.

As Airdrie tried to build up play, the visitor’s spoiling tactics were proving disruptive. In 83 minutes Watt again fired a decent attempt on goal, this time from the edge of the box and Douglas dived to his left to turn the ball away for a corner.

Crighton rose to head the ball in from the corner but Campbell was on hand for a goal line clearance.

In spite of significant stoppage time there was to be nothing to show for Airdrie's second half efforts.

John O'Brien at New Broomfield.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page