top of page

Saturday October 3, 2015

Ladbrokes League One






Thomson 83


It wasn't one for the football purists at New Broomfield as Ryan Thomson's late header won it for Stranraer.

Prior to this match Airdrieonians had never lost a home league match against Stranraer.

Football is filled with statistics and a review of the first quarter of the season shows that the 12 points gathered retains the Diamonds’ place in the top four, but there will be disappointment at the fact that the last three games yielded a single point.

It is fair to say that point came in the most difficult game of the three.

The visitors looked to be more workmanlike as the clock ticked by in a first half of forgettable football.

A cross from Peter McGill was directed towards goal by Mark McGuigan then deflected for a corner that came to nothing.

The Diamonds had a very poor first half. There was very little to threaten each goal in the opening 41 minutes, apart from Neil Parry diving low to collect a Ryan Thomson 28th minute shot from inside the penalty area.

Thomson missed a great chance in 42 minutes after Andrew Stirling’s cross picked him out in front of goal. The striker connected with the ball but missed the target from inside the 6 yard box

Caolan McAleer had come on for Taylor Morgan in 36 minutes and just ahead of the interval was adjudged to have been brought down by Dale Keenan with a spot kick awarded

Liam Watt took the penalty. His effort was turned past the post by keeper David McGurn with the teams going in level at half time.

13 minutes after the break Alan Lithgow’s header back across goal was fired well over the goal by George Hunter

In 69 minutes Scott Smith’s pass to David Cox saw him turn and drive a 20 yard shot wide of the goal.

With 76 minutes gone Stirling’s cross was met by McGuigan and headed over the bar

A minute later a fine run by Cox to the line was followed up by a driven cross that substitute Bryan Prunty gathered in, but the striker slipped as he was setting himself up for a shot andthe ball was cleared.

At the other end Parry pushed a McGuigan drive over the bar.

Airdrie should have gone ahead in 79 minutes after McAleer was in on goal on the right, but his angled shot was pushed out by McGurn and Smith in front of goal shot straight at the grounded keeper who collected the ball.

McAleer fired an 82nd minute 20-yard shot directly at McGurn who took the ball comfortably.

A minute later Stranraer were in front after Craig Pettigrew’s cross into the box was headed beyond Parry and into the net by ex-Dunfermline man Thomson.

Their defence stood firm to hold out for the win and there was to be no further scoring.

John O'Brien at New Broomfield.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page