top of page

Saturday December 27, 2014

SPFL League One





Prunty 8, 20
McKinlay 79 og

Ayr United


Bryan Prunty put his old team to the sword as the Diamonds' fine run of form continued with a convincing win to see out the year.

Jim Lister saw this as a six pointer match but Gary Bollan will settle for the three the win brings to move within six points of the play offs.

Airdrie were on the front foot from the kick off.
After 5 minutes Fraser’s lob into the box was just too strong for Prunty to reach and Ayr’s keeper Hutton grabbed the ball.

A minute later Fraser’s run to the line and cut back into the box found no runners from the home side.

Airdrie had more purpose about their play early on and went in front with 8 minutes gone.

Paddy Boyle picked out Lister with a long pass upfield and after a couple of steps he fired a powerful volley from just inside the penalty area which Hutton stretched to turn away, but an alert Prunty raced in and dived low with no lack of bravery to head the ball into the net, taking a knock subsequently.

4 minutes later Prunty placed a terrific ball behind the Ayr back line for Lister who probably had too much time as he proceeded to scoop the ball high over the crossbar from 10 yards out.

With 20 minutes gone Prunty showed little sign of after-effects from his head knock when he robbed early substitute McKinlay 35 yards out then headed for goal before sliding the ball past Hutton to the keepers left.

In 36 minutes Lister's far post cross saw Blockley race in to attack the ball but head wide of the goal.

Paddy Boyle fired a long rage 30 yard effort on target that went just over the crossbar in 42 minutes and just before the break Ayr’s Crawford hit a 20 yard shot that McNeil took comfortably.

Ayr were fortunate to reach the break just two goals down.

4 minutes after the restart O’Neil made a fine saving challenge as Donnelly was about to shoot from 20 yards out and the striker fired wide.

In 51 minutes good hold up play by Prunty was followed by a perfect lay off to Fraser who carried the ball left then blazed a shot well over the goal.

Gilmour’s effort in 53 minutes was easily held by McNeil.

In 57 minutes Docherty’s free kick from 25 yards out was just too high and flew over the goal.

Ayr’s substitute Slane was sent off after a brief 16 minute cameo for a lunge on Paddy Boyle to effectively end the visitor’s hopes.

With 11 minutes left, Airdrie scored a third goal which had been in keeping with Ayr’s defending in the match.

A cross from the right by Blockley was left by Lister at the near post. Hutton and McKinlay both appeared to go for it then left it to the other as the ball struck McKinlay and ended up in the net.

On 90 minutes Prunty’s chip looked netbound, so close to a hat trick, but hit the crossbar with the loose ball fired wide.

A 4 match unbeaten run in December to see out 2014.

John O'Brien at New Broomfield.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page