top of page

Saturday January 24, 2015

SPFL League One





Lister 89


McShane 87


Jim Lister was Airdrie's saviour as his last-minute goal rescued a point for the Diamonds after Stranraer looked to have nicked all three at the death.

On their last visit to New Broomfield, The Blues need a late 90th minute goal for a share of the points in a 3-3 draw. They almost bagged all three courtesy of a late goal on this occasion.

Airdrie entertained the league leaders and in the first half Stranraer were nowhere near the side at the top of the table.

With 10 minutes gone Airdrie were almost in on goal after a cross from Bain saw a Blockley header fly just beyond Lister’s outstretched leg.

In 14 minutes from a clearance by the packed visiting defence Fitzpatrick fired the first shot on target of the match by drilling a low 20 yard shot that Mitchell collected.

McNeil was alert to react and collect the ball in 16 minutes after it deflected off Malcolm.

A clever turn by Prunty on the edge of the box in 17 minutes gave the striker the chance to send in an angled shot low to keeper Mitchell’s left post and he reacted quickly to gather the ball low at his left post.

Bain was next up to have a go in 22 minutes, when he gathered the ball just inside the Stranraer half then raced forward and powered a 25 yard shot that Mitchell turned away for a corner.

From the resulting corner Gilfillan attacked the ball and saw his header cleared.

Almost on the half time whistle Airdrie’s new signing again rose high, this time heading high over the goal.

In the second half Stranraer offered little more by way of goal threat.

In 51 minutes after a good run by Prunty into the box, a neat backheel saw the ball fall to Blockley whose powerful shot was deflected for a corner.

With 64 minutes played, a Docherty pass found Paddy Boyle who fired a 20 yard effort well wide.

In 72 minutes Blockley gathered a loose ball in the penalty area but saw his effort blocked by the packed Stranraer defence.

As the match wore on and a goalless draw looking on the cards, the goals arrived.

Good play by Aitken on the right saw him send over a dangerous cross to the back post that was turned away for a corner. Although the first delivery was cleared, a second corner was conceded.

Aitken’s cross to the centre of the goal was met by McShane who headed home the opening goal.

Airdrie refused to feel sorry for themselves and reacted by levelling just over a minute later.

Liam Watt’s curling delivery into the box appeared to lack height but Jim Lister stooped low to send the ball past Mitchell for a well-deserved equaliser.

John O'Brien at New Broomfield.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page