top of page

Saturday August 23, 2014

SPFL League One

Dunfermline Athletic




Ugwu 24, 80
Moffat 41



Airdrie remain rooted to the bottom of League One table after a heavy defeat to favourites Dunfermline.

Gregor Buchanan returned for Dunfermline to face his former club, while Airdrie introduced their new loan signing from Partick Thistle Ben Richards-Everton at the back.

Airdrie were quicker out of the blocks with Liam Watt striking a 20 yard shot that Ryan Scully dived to his left to turn away for a corner in 2 minutes.

5 minutes later Joe Hamill's free kick found Jim Lister who headed just wide of the target.

Airdrie continued to press as Watt's through ball into the penalty box saw Lister drill the ball low and Scully dived to block the shot with 9 minutes played.

3 minutes later Ross Millen's angled cross from the right almost caught out Andy McNeil at the far post of the Airdrie goal.

Airdrie had the ball in the net midway through the half, but the goal was disallowed for an infringement.

After these early scares the home side powered ahead. With 23 minutes gone Hamill lost possession and the home side raced upfield. After receiving the ball wide right Faissal El Bakhtoui made space from himself before sending a cross from the right which eluded striker Chigozie Ugwu but Andy Geggan was able to usher the ball back to Ugwu who crashed the ball into the net off the crossbar for the opening goal.

The big striker thought he had a second 2 minutes later but an offside flag was shown.

Lister failed to make the Pars pay for a defensive mistake in 29 minutes that saw him race clear from the hallway line but once more when he shot for goal Scully blocked the effort.

With 5 minutes of the half remaining El Bakhtaoui delivered another back post cross and Geggan's header was pushed onto the crossbar by McNeil. Michael Moffat reacted quickest to the loose ball, despite being surrounded by Airdrie defenders to fire high into the net for the second goal.
After the interval the match failed to live up to the first half through continual stoppages, bookings and substitutions which impact on the flow of play.

11 minutes remained when a terrific back heel by Ugwu put Ross Forbes in on goal inside the box but his angled shot was wide.

2 minutes later man of the match Ugwu raced on to a through ball held off his marker Wilson before clipping the ball over McNeil for the third goal.

In the end a comfortable win for Dunfermline by 3 goals to nil, after a shaky start.

After the match Dunfermline boss Jim Jefferies said "We've been playing well and it was all about taking our chances. We've scored three and could have had a few more.
"We controlled the game after they had a couple of chances and played some good football. This result will maybe give the players the wee lift they were needing. Now we have to try and go on a wee run."

Airdrie boss Gary Bollan said "I'm sounding like a broken record every week but individual errors are costing us games. We're missing chances when we have been on top in games".

John O'Brien at East End Park.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page