top of page

Saturday February 21, 2015

SPFL League One






Prunty 38, 58


Airdrie put further distance between them and the three bottom sides with a good away win over Stenhousemuir.

It took the Diamonds over half an hour to get accustomed to the favourable wind conditions. During that time Gary Bollan’s side were guilty over hitting their upfield clearances or crosses into the box.

With 15 minutes gone a corner on the right saw Lithgow head for goal only to see it come back out and cleared out of the box.

In 25 minutes Stenhousemuir were even closer to opening the scoring. McMullan weaved his way towards the penalty box then struck a netbound shot that Lindsay redirected to the centre of the goal and McNeil's excellent reaction saw him turn the ball over the crossbar for a corner.

With 32 minutes played a decent run by Lister ended with him firing a shot high over the goal.

9 minutes from the break the home keeper came out of the box on the left to fire the ball upfield. Docherty picked the ball up quickly and from 45 yards out lobbed the ball back towards goal. Fleming managed to just get back in time, much to his relief, to push the net bound effort away for a corner.

Airdrie were now looking more dangerous and they opened the scoring in 38 minutes. A good run down the left saw Paddy Boyle fire across the face of goal. The ball was desperately cleared to the edge of the penalty area and after Fraser sent the ball back into the six yard box, Prunty was on hand to stroke the ball into the net to put the Diamonds in front and it was a lead they took to the half time break.

Stenhousemuir had the first real chance after interval, when McMenamin fired an angled shot wide of the goal frame.

Airdrie were forcing the home side to defend in 52 minutes after Paddy Boyle’s good run down the left led to a hanging cross into the box that was missed by his team mates while a minute later Docherty’s headed attempt was comfortably taken by Fleming.

Stenhousemuir’s best player McMullan curled an effort wide in 57 minutes, a minute before the action was to flow to the other end of the park.

A ball forward picked out Lister who made headway right into the box before delivering a terrific pass across goal for Prunty to race in and put the ball into the open goal for his own and his side’s second.

A minute later Lister raced on to a through ball into the box and he beat grounded keeper Fleming to the ball and then sent a cross in that was blocked, with all penalty claims waved aside.

The match was allowed to fritter away with regular midfield tussles but a lack of goalmouth action.

In stoppage time substitute Sutherland knocked the ball past McNeil but Paddy Boyle was on hand to clear the ball away from goal to maintain the clean sheet.

John O'Brien at Ochilview Park.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page