top of page

Saturday September 20, 2014

SPFL League One





P Boyle 21
Prunty 32
Gasparotto 77


Longworth 8
Malcolm 59
Forde 90


The Diamonds twice took the lead against Stranraer at New Broomfield, but were left stunned by a stoppage-time equaliser.

Looking for their first league win, Airdrie were chasing the game after Stranraer took the lead inside 8 minutes.

A cross from the left by Winters was not cleared by the defence and as the ball bounced around the 18 yard box, Longworth wasted little time in blasting the ball high into the back of the net for the opening goal.

The Diamonds eventually settled and enjoyed a ten minute spell of pressure midway through the first half.

Watt and Prunty were unable to get good contact on a loose ball in the penalty area in 15 minutes and the danger was cleared.

At the other end of the park, a Gibson effort was turned away by McNeil in 19 minutes but two minutes later Airdrie equalised.

A stunning 20 yard free kick by Paddy Boyle saw the ball power past a flailing Mitchell high into the net after Lister had been tripped on the edge of the box.

With 25 minutes gone McNeil directed a shot-cum-cross by Pettigrew out to the far touchline, and the keeper was happy to watch Malcolm’s 20 yard shot fizz by his right post 4 minutes later.

Airdrie took the lead in 32 minutes thanks to goal that owed much to Prunty’s perseverance.

His 20 yard effort was cleared to the 18 yard line and then he rose to head the ball through for Lister and after he lobbed the ball over Mitchell, Prunty raced in to put the ball in the net.

Stranraer had a good ten minute spell before the interval when McNeil made a couple of decent saves from Malcolm, while Winter fired an angled shot against the post, but Airdrie maintained their advantage at the interval.

After the break the visitors pressed Airdrie back. Gibson had a curling free kick which hit the post in 49 minutes, while McNeil turned a Stoney shot away for a corner 6 minutes later.

But the keeper was beaten on the hour when Gibson’s drilled 25 yard shot was directed into the net by Malcolm.

In 69 minutes Lister went close to restoring Airdrie’s lead when his header for goal was headed off the line by Stirling, and Boyle went close to bagging a second goal when Everton-Richards picked him out with a good forward pass and after cutting into the box he was unable to find the target with his shot.

Airdrie did get back in front with 13 minutes remaining when Gasparotto rose high and headed home Watt’s free kick.

With 10 minutes remaining Prunty raced in behind the Stranraer back line but Mitchell blocked his shot and the danger was cleared.

Stranraer threw caution to the wind in the closing stages and levelled once again in stoppage time when a ball into the penalty area was poorly defended as Forde was given time to place the ball past McNeil to deny Airdrie their first victory this season.

It was the third time this season, previously against Albion Rovers and Stenhousemuir late goals had an impact.

John O'Brien at New Broomfield.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page