top of page

Saturday Feburary 14, 2015

SPFL League One





Fitzpatrick 5
Prunty 22 pen
Fraser 76

Forfar Athletic

Travis 86


The Diamonds were sparkling on Valentine's Day as a 3-1 victory left Forfar Athletic broken-hearted.

Airdrie were looking for their first home win of 2015 and their first victory of the season against Forfar.

And the home side took a strong grip on the match in the first half by going in front after just 5 minutes. From a McNeil kick out, Gilfillan headed the ball down the line and Lister chased it, going past Dods then sent an angled cut back to the edge of the box that Fitzpatrick raced in and curved his shot to send the ball away from Douglas into the net at his right hand side.

After 7 minutes Denholm mishit a shot well past the target after the ball had been headed clear.

In 15 minutes a Docherty corner was headed out to the edge of the box but Fraser’s volley back in was well over the top of the goal.

With 22 minutes gone the Diamonds went two clear.

A headed ball forward found Lister who tried to control it but it ran on to Fraser and with a lovely back heel he sent Prunty in behind the Forfar back line. He was pushed by Malin before getting a shot off and the Forfar defender was subsequently red carded, while Prunty drilled the penalty past Douglas, again to his right, ending the frustration of the 7 week wait, to net his 100th competitive goal.

After scoring he celebrated in fine style with his son, who had a great view behind the goal.

With 27 minutes gone McNeil had his first real involvement, turning away a Swankie 20 yard shot for a corner. The striker had gathered Templeman’s flick forward from a Travis ball upfield.

10 minutes from the interval Paddy Boyle’s cross was controlled by Prunty before laying the ball back for Fraser who effort on goal lacked power.

Boyle blazed a 20 yard shot high over the goal in 38 minutes after a good run and pass from Docherty.

On the 45 minute mark a lobbed ball by Gilfillan ended with Prunty firing an angled effort that went wide of the far post.

2 minutes after the restart Gaparotto threaded the ball through to Fraser who made headway to within 25 yards out but his shot was easily taken by Douglas, while at the other end a Swankie cross almost caught out McNeil.

Fraser’s free kick in 55 minutes picked out Lister whose headed attempt was taken by Douglas at the second attempt.

Fraser had an excellent weaving run in 64 minutes before ending with a shot just over the top.

Campbell was well placed on the post in 73 minutes to clear Gasparotto’s header for goal from Fraser’s corner. Docherty was inches away with a curling shot a minute later.

Airdrie eventually added a third goal in 76 minutes.

A clearance by Douglas found Docherty whose instant touch allowed Lister to turn and race pass Dods into the penalty area before sliding the ball to Fraser. He moved the ball to his left to give himself some space before sending the ball into the net.

Ten minutes from time a ball over the Airdrie defence saw McNeil and Hilson in a mix up but Gasparotto was alert to chase back and clear the danger as the ball made its way into the box.

The visitors bagged a consolation goal when Travis scored after following up Husband’s free kick that McNeil spilled with 5 minutes left.

Airdrie should have had a fourth in 89 minutes with a sweeping move down the left, starting with Gasparotto and ending with Morton’s cross to Gray, but his elevated shot allowed Douglas to touch the ball over the bar.

Not a Valentine’s Day massacre but a one sided contest in any event.

John O'Brien at New Broomfield.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page