top of page

Saturday September 13, 2014

SPFL League One





Barrowman 51
Crawford 69


Watt 15


Airdrieonians ticked another box with their first league goal of the season but it was not enough for their first win.

They had the better chances in the first half but their only goal was overtaken by two home second half counters to leave the club at the foot of the table.

It was as good a first half as the team have played. Early on Boyle fired over from 20 yards out with four minutes gone from a defensive clearance.

Crawford then had a couple of moments around the Airdrie penalty box but McNeil was equal to both.

Airdrie took the lead after Watt was quickest to react to a rebound from Bain’s free kick to blast a terrific 20 yard volley past former Albion Rovers keeper Gaston for the opener with quarter of an hour gone the scoring in 15 minutes.

New boy Lucas Gasparotto could have added a second almost immediately after rising to head the ball too high over the target from Watt’s fine cross.

With 28 minutes gone Boyle joined his forwards in the Morton half and a ball across the field of play gave him a chance to head for goal, which he did but then blasted too high to trouble the home goal.

Blockley then drove forward and found Richford who was only a fraction too high with his 20 yard effort.

Crawford, who was the home side’s best player, almost threatened again while youngster Richford raced in on goal before Crighton helped out the home side with a good tackle inside the penalty box.

Watt and Boyle had decent chances early in the second half but it was Morton who levelled in 51 minutes after McKee and Barrowman appeared to pass their way through the Airdrie rear guard and new signing Barrowman had time to fire the ball past McNeil

The home side went close in 57 minutes through their goalscorer while Richford also had an attempt on goal for Airdrie.

Morton took the lead in 69 minutes when McKee’s effort was turned away by McNeil but Crawford reacted and fired the ball into the net.

Airdrie made changes but they were to regret their first half profligacy and left Greenock with nothing to show for their efforts.

John O'Brien at Cappielow Park.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page