top of page

Saturday October 11, 2014

SPFL League One





Fraser 3
Proctor 21
Lister 57
Blockley 76

Brechin City


Airdrie brought a disappointing first quarter to a close in sensational fashion - slamming four past hapless Brechin.

Inside a minute a ball in behind the Airdrie back line almost saw Thomson in on goal but the danger was cleared.

Airdrieonians had brought in Dundee United youngster Scott Fraser on loan and his impact was immediate.

A free kick some 40 yards out saw his curling cross into the penalty area elude everyone including keeper Smith and end up in the back of the net to give the Diamonds the lead.

A Fusco 20 yard effort in 9 minutes on the edge of the penalty area was turned away for a corner by McNeil and was in fact Brechin’s only first half attempt on the goal.

With 20 minutes played Airdrie went two in front.

Fraser’s corner was headed for goal by Lister. Keeper Smith rose to palm the ball against the crossbar. The ball then came back into play and Proctor rose to head it into the net.

Fraser went close with another effort a minute later.

Just before the half hour Proctor had to leave the field after he injured himself blocking Thomson’s shot after he raced into the box.

As they continued to press Boyle and Gray blasted 20 yard shots high over the target.

Twice inside a minute Airdrie went so close to adding to their tally. In 38 minutes Fusco cleared a headed effort by Richards-Everton off the line. A minute later Smith saved from Blockley as the Diamonds pressed for third goal.

They went closer in 51 minutes when Lister gathered a pass from Fraser, turned inside the 18 yard box but fired an angled shot wide of the far post.

12 minutes into the second half, they had goal number 3.

O’Neil slid a fine through ball which picked out Parker and he raced to the line before squaring the ball for Lister who made sure this time as he side footed home.

In 71 minutes Parker’s turn and shot inside the penalty was well saved by Smith low down.

A great run by Watt down the left was followed by a pullback to Blockley with 14 minutes remaining. Blockley shot for goal from 20 yards and his chipped effort landed in the net off the bar.

The two players combined again in 81 minutes but this time Blockley's header saw the ball rise high over the goal.

Richards-Everton almost scored in stoppage time but his header from Bain’s corner just missed the target.

A first home win which takes the Diamonds off the bottom of the table.

John O'Brien at New Broomfield.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page