top of page

Saturday March 7, 2015

SPFL League One

Brechin City






Airdrieonians remain ten points off the play off places despite gaining a point at Glebe Park and going above Peterhead in the table.

The Diamonds travelled to Brechin City knowing that although they were in a good run of form with only one league defeat in 12 matches going back to the start of December, their opponents boasted an even better record of 17 games unbeaten in the league.

For the third time this season the sides could not be split and the match ended with a point apiece. Airdrieonians had won the first meeting 4-0 back in October.

The conditions were to dictate this match as the swirling wind and dry bumpy pitch made silky soccer an absentee - and also missing in this fourth meeting of the season were goals.

After two minutes strong play by Lister ended with a neat lay off to Prunty who blazed the ball high and wide.

Airdrie were enjoying some early pressure and good build up play in eight minutes saw a Fraser effort blocked and cleared.

At the other end two minutes later a cross into the box by Thomson was pushed away well by McNeil as danger threatened.

Both sides were having difficulty mastering the high winds as the ball was punted long from the back.

Brechin almost took the lead on the half hour but for a terrific reflex save from a McLean net bound header, away for a corner.

6 minutes from the break Bain went close from a Fitzpatrick cross as he headed the ball just over the bar.

In between Paddy Boyle had saw yellow for a mistimed challenge but Lister was also booked as he turned his back to the ball and Hamilton went to ground after clearing up field.

After the break the home side offered more with McLauchlan heading over the crossbar in 52 minutes.

Barr appeared to be in on goal in 54 minutes after some hesitation in the Airdrie defence but his angled shot was wide, missing the players and the goal only to see a corner awarded.

Lister and Prunty combined just after the hour mark but the final flicked attempt was off target.

Referee Graham then booked 4 City players in a 10 minute spell, some seeming harsh.

With 17 minutes to play Hamilton’s throw in down the left found Trouten who headed for the penalty area then curled a decent shot wide of McNeil’s left post.

Both sides huffed and puffed but did not do enough to threaten in the final third.

Into the first minute of time added and Lister raced on to a through ball then chipped it beyond Smith’s far post.

Referee Graham flashed a second yellow card then red at the striker pointing to the late flag that had been raised by the main stand assistant referee.

It was particularly harsh as he was the visitor’s most fouled player on the day.

The goalless score line was the Diamonds first since 30th August at home to Stirling Albion.

John O'Brien at Glebe Park.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page