top of page

Saturday December 6, 2014

SPFL League One

Brechin City




Barr 81


Lister 85

Match Gallery

Jim Lister's scrambled equaliser rescued a point for the Diamonds after a defensive howler had gifted Brechin City a late lead.

The striker's fourth goal of the season came in the 85th minute, only four minutes after Brechin sub Bobby Barr had taken advantage of a mix-up between Luca Gasparotto and Andy McNeil to fire his side ahead.

Lister returned to Gary Bollan's starting line-up after appearing from the bench at Stranraer a fortnight ago.

Also handed starts were Paddy Boyle and Ben Richards-Everton while ex-Livi man Ross Docherty continued in the holding midfield role.

The home side featured familiar faces in Darren McCormack and Alan Trouten, while ex-Airdrie loanee Ewan McNeil started at right-back.

Lister had the ball in the net from Keigan Parker's 9th minute cross, but the linesman ruled it offside.

The home side were next to threaten, Trouten beating Chris O'Neil to a diagonal pass and lobbing just over, before McNeil had to react smartly to save at the feet of Andy Jackson.

City's keeper Graeme Smith was also in action, blocking from Parker after a clever reverse pass from Scott Fraser.

Airdrie took control in the second-half, although a reluctance to get shots away often meant Brechin were able to snuff out attacks.

A sustained spell of pressure after the hour mark led to a series of corners for the visitors, Nathan Blockley coming closest to profiting with a stinging drive from the angle of the box which Smith did well to tip over.

Ray McKinnon's men started to get back into the match, and won two free kicks on the edge of the penalty area in quick succession.

Both set-pieces had the same outcome - McNeil brilliantly saving Jamie Masson's efforts.

With less than ten minutes remaining, substitute Bobby Barr was given an early Christmas present by Gasparotto and McNeil - arguably Airdrie's best performers thus far.

A long ball from the middle of the park left Barr and Gasparotto in a footrace. The on-loan Rangers defender got to the ball first and attempted to head it back to McNeil, unaware that the keeper had charged off his line to clear the danger.

The attempted backpass looped over the Airdrie goalie, leaving Barr the simplest of tap-ins.

However, within four minutes the Diamonds were back on level terms.

Lister and Smith challenged for Paddy Boyle's back post cross, and the ball dropped between them. Lister reacted quickly to prod home despite McCormack's desperate attempt to block.

Airdrie could have taken the lead a minute later, Scott Gray's cross picking out Bryan Prunty, but Smith made a stunning fingertip save to turn the ball over the bar and the game ended in a stalemate.

Stuart Mathie at Glebe Park.

Photographs © Stuart Mathie. Click to view full size.

bottom of page