top of page

Saturday May 2, 2015

SPFL League One





Morton 45
McHugh 47, 90

Dunfermline Athletic

Geggan 33
Falkingham 59


Airdrie ended the season on a high as Bob McHugh's last-minute winner secured victory over Dunfermline Athletic.

It was a special day for young U20s goalkeeper Rohan Ferguson who was making his first team debut for Airdrieonians in their final fixture which effectively had nothing at stake for the Diamonds.

Airdrie had a great chance to open the scoring in 4 minutes. A great bit of play by McHugh allowed him to set up a chance for Docherty, and from around 10 yards his shot was blocked then cleared upfield.

Williamson made a good run into the box in 17 minutes and fired a powerful angled shot well wide.

A minute later Airdrie’s young keeper showed his confidence with a clean catch from a Williamson cross.

Ferguson did even better when he made a superb save in 21 minutes. Falkingham did well to set up Hopkirk and his flick was net bound until the keeper dived low to turn the ball away for a corner.

Buchanan rose high in 26 minutes to head a delivery into the box the bar.

The visitors were the team to take the lead, when in 33 minutes a deep cross by Graham landed at the back post, and there was Geggan who controlled the ball and powered a shot in from a tight angle.

Ferguson dived low to take a driven shot by Hopkirk from 20 yards in the 36th minute.

Geggan went close after good play by the visitors with a minute of the half remaining, when he got on the end of a good passing move but watched his 25 yard shot whistle just over the crossbar.

Airdrie quickly moved up to the other end and under pressure Dunfermline conceded an equalizer in 45 minutes.

As the ball was hoisted into the middle of the goal by Lindsay, Morton rose high to powerfully head the ball past Wilson.

There seemed a more competitive approach by the Diamonds after the break and after being awarded a free kick close to the touchline 2 minutes into the second period, a high delivery by Fraser picked out McHugh who rose and headed the ball past Wilson.

With 50 minutes gone, Moffat threaded the ball through to Whittle who hammered a shot well over the top.

Fitzpatrick fired a shot for goal in 54 minutes that beat keeper Wilson but struck the crossbar and the ball was cleared away.

The visitors then squared matters in 59 minutes after a terrific back post ball by Geggan was taken by Falkingham who volleyed the ball past Ferguson into the net.

Chances were to fall at both ends in what became a very open contest, far more entertaining than just an end of season affair.

Young Jack McCue came on for his Airdrie debut with just over ten minutes to play.

Airdrie had the ball in the net late on only to see it disallowed, but in the final minute McHugh showed his alertness by racing on to the ball in the penalty area to slide past Wilson and take all three points.

John O'Brien at New Broomfield.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page