top of page

Saturday November 1, 2014

William Hill Scottish Cup round 3







The Diamonds enjoyed the lion's share of possession and chances at Cappielow, but face a Scottish Cup third round replay after failing to take advantage against ten-man Morton.

4 years from their last Scottish Cup clash when Airdrie drew 2-2 at Cappielow and were thrashed 2-5 at home in the replay, the sides were drawn again in the competition.

Airdrie enjoyed the lion’s share of possession and the chances in the first half, just as they had done in the league clash earlier in the season.

The first real opening came in 4 minutes Lister’s headed flick on found Parker who fired a powerful cross that reached Watt at the back post and his angled shot was saved low by Gaston.

2 minutes later McNeil made a fine double save initially from Stefan McCluskey who turned his marker and from 18 yards drilled a low shot that the keeper blocked. Pepper latched on to the rebound to shoot for goal from inside the box and again the keeper made a great save before the ball was cleared upfield.

With 7 minutes gone, Gasparotto rose high to meet Fraser’s corner but headed over the top.

In 11 minutes Fraser attempted his curling free kick but this time it was easily gathered by Gaston.

As Airdrie continued to press in 12 minutes after a fine run and lay off by Watt, Gray’s attempt was blocked then cleared.

McKee curled a 25 yard free kick wide right of McNeil’s post in 15 minutes.

O’Ware went close for Morton on 20 minutes rising to meet McKee’s corner but heading the ball just over the goal frame.

Airdrie then enjoyed a concerted 5 minute spell of pressure, pressing the home side back, which ended with a Blockley blast for goal in 25 minutes that sailed over the goal.

As Airdrie continued to press they went so close to breaking the deadlock in 34 minutes. A minute after Fraser had fired a shot wide of goal, a ball forward picked out Lister and his knockdown fell for Parker. He made for himself inside the box then curled a delicious attempt that Gaston could only watch as it struck the crossbar.

In first half stoppage time Fraser picked the ball up on the hallway line, raced forward before laying the ball off for Lister who's angled shot was blocked by Gaston’s legs.
After the break it was Morton who were first to threaten in 52 minutes when McNeil did well to dive low and force away a threatening cross from the right wing.

In 54 minutes a wonderful piece of play by Parker saw his fine flick set up Gray who fired low but the ball was well taken by Gaston.

Midway through the second period the home side were enjoying their best spell. McNeil saved well from a Barrowman shot inside the box in 55 minutes.

In 64 minutes as both sides looked to assert their authority, McKee was late in his lunge for a loose ball and went through on Gasparotto. He was red carded.

Morton made changes in the remaining period of half an hour including stoppage time. They defended in depth as Airdrie showed little inventiveness in breaking through.

A Blockley shot in 72 minutes was deflected just past Gaston’s right post while Lister had a turn and shot inside the box in 85 minutes that Gaston collected.

In injury time a good run by Fraser won a corner that came to nothing and the game ended goalless with a replay on 11th November.

John O'Brien at Cappielow Park.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page