top of page

Saturday September 21, 2013

SPFL League One

Dunfermline Athletic




Husband 56
Geggan 86


Coogans 57


For the second week running a late goal decided Airdrie's fortunes, but this time it went against the Diamonds.

Andy Geggan was Dunfermline's hero on 86 minutes, after the sides had traded goals in the space of a minute earlier in a thrilling second half.

Liam Coogans started the match in place of Jim Lister, who was sidelined with an ankle injury, while Willie McLaren made way for the returning Martin Hardie to face his former Club.

Ex-Airdrie loanee Jordan Moore started for the Pars, with another familiar face on the bench in Ryan Wallace.

Dunfermline had the best of the opening exchanges, but Scott Gallacher was equal to early efforts from Geggan, Robert Thomson and Josh Falkingham.

Airdrieonians also had chances, a 20-yard Martin Hardie free kick going just over the Dunfermline crossbar.

Grant Evans was in fine form in the centre of the Airdrie defence, making a number of last ditch blocks to deny the Pars.

Dunfermline started the second half in determined fashion, Jordan Moore's bullet header forcing a fingertip save from Gallacher.

Lewis Coult, hurt in a first half collision, made way for Willie McLaren with Martin Hardie joining Coogans upfront, and it gave the Airdrie side a more solid attacking shape.

McLaren could have broken the deadlock within minutes of coming on, beating Pars goalkeeper Scully to Hardie's flick-on, but his lobbed effort drifted agonisingly wide of the post.

It was the home side who went in front after 56 minutes, a 30-yard Stephen Husband free-kick deflected off an Airdrie boot beyond Gallacher and into the back of the net.

It was a cruel blow for the visitors, but they were on level terms straight from the restart.

Paddy Boyle's wonderful through ball carved open the Dunfermline defence and found the onrushing Coogans.

The teen hitman still had work to do, but he curled the ball beyond Scully with aplomb.

The Diamonds took the initiative, and Coogans and Hardie both came close to putting the Lanarkshire men in front.

But as Airdrie tired against Jim Jefferies' full-time squad, a loose ball in the box wasn't dealt with and Geggan lashed home to seal all three points for Dunfermline.

Stuart Mathie at East End Park.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page