top of page

Tuesday December 17, 2013

SPFL League One

Brechin City




Donnelly 26
Trouten 29, 90
Jackson 57


Lister 61
Coult 83
Blockley 90

Match Gallery

Airdrie staged a rousing second-half comeback at Glebe Park, only to have their hearts broken by ex-Diamond Alan Trouten deep in stoppage time.

The Brechin midfielder struck with the last kick of the ball, seconds after Nathan Blockley looked to have earned the travelling side a point in this rearranged fixture.

Trouten lined up alongside Ryan Donnelly to face their former employers, and both would have a big say in the outcome of the match.

There were two changes for Gary Bollan's Airdrieonians following Saturday's home defeat by East Fife.

Liam Coogans started alongside David Sinclair, whose inclusion in a three-man midfield saw wingers Caolan McAleer and Nicky Cadden drop to the bench.

Early exchanges were scrappy, Nathan Blockley firing high and wide for the visitors before Trouten clipped the Airdrie post having intercepted a short passback from Gregor Buchanan.

It was another ex-Diamond, striker Ryan Donnelly, who opened the scoring on 26 minutes. The frontman rose highest to meet a corner kick from the right hand side, and he flicked his header beyond Danny Rogers in the Airdrie goal.

Trouten doubled the Brechin lead three minutes later. Advancing into the box from the left flank, his initial shot was blocked by Buchanan. The rebound sat up kindly for the midfielder, and he lashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.

Airdrie made changes to their shape and personnel at the break, but it was the home side who struck again on 57 minutes, in-form striker Andy Jackson sidestepping the advancing Rogers and firing home.

The Diamonds pulled one back within three minutes, Caolan McAleer's cross from the right headed home by fellow half-time substitute Jim Lister.

The pendulum swung further in the favour of an unlikely comeback five minutes later, Brechin midfielder Greg Cameron earning a straight red card for a reckless challenge on Lewis Coult in the centre circle.

And Coult was the man on hand to head home Airdrie's second goal, Jim Lister turning provider in a carbon copy of the first.

The Diamonds' tails were up, although time was running out. A third substitution was to lead to an equaliser three minutes into stoppage time.

Nicky Cadden replaced the injured Paddy Boyle, and the youngster was on hand to fire a late free kick into the City box. Coult's downward header was parried by a ruck of defenders, but Nathan Blockley prodded the loose ball home, much to the delight of the travelling support.

The Airdrie faithful's joy was short lived though, Trouten making space at the near post and turning home a low cross from the left wing.

The Diamonds barely had time to kick off before referee Colin Steven blew for time, making it nine defeats in a row for the Monklands men.

Stuart Mathie at Glebe Park.

Photograph © Stuart Mathie. Click to view full size.

bottom of page