top of page

Saturday September 29, 2012

Irn Bru SFL Division 1

Airdrie United




Boyle 37, 80


Campbell 49, 79
O'Brien 68


TEN-MAN Airdrie suffered a fourth defeat in five games at the hands of Morton.

John Boyle struck twice at New Broomfield for the hosts but the visitors did enough for a fourth successive win.

Airdrie made one change to the team which came from behind to earn a 1-1 draw at Falkirk last weekend.

Winger Alan Cook, despite his equaliser at Westfield, dropped to the bench, with Willie McLaren restored to the starting line-up.

The Diamonds were first to threaten but a shot on the turn from Boyle in the third minute was well held by Morton's ex-Albion Rovers keeper Derek Gaston.

Boss Jimmy Boyle was forced into an early reshuffle. Injury forced off Cammy MacDonald with Australian Marc Warren brought on.

By that stage, Ton had hit the post twice. Grant Evans inadvertently diverted a David O'Brien cross towards his own net but was spared by the woodwork.

A couple of minutes later, Archie Campbell had a shot stopped by Kenny Arthur with O'Brien's rebound coming off the upright.

In the 28th minute, French midfielder Fouad Bachirou fed Campbell but the striker's low shot hit the post.

For those keeping count, Ton struck the post for a fourth time six minutes later through Michael Tidser after Arthur failed to hold his drive.

Tidser would have a hand in the opening goal which was plundered by the home side against the run of play.

He played a pass inside which was intercepted by Boyle who raced forward and popped a 20-yard shot into the corner of the net.

But Morton equalised early in the second half. An error from substitute Warren allowed Campbell to capitalise with the striker lobbing the ball over Arthur and into the net.

The visitors controversially made it 2-1 midway through the second half when O'Brien tapped home David Graham's low ball at the back post.

Campbell added a third goal in the 78th minute when he outpaced Evans and smashed the ball past Arthur.

Airdrie refused to go quietly and pulled a goal back through Boyle – the Whinhall marksman's seventh of the campaign.

However, a straight red card for David Lilley, after he tugged back Campbell on the edge of the box, put paid to their comeback hopes.

Boss Boyle will be hoping for better in next weekend's Lanarkshire derby at home to Hamilton Accies.

Colin Paterson at New Broomfield.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page