top of page

Saturday October 27, 2012

Irn Bru SFL Division 1





Prunty 34
Lister 27
McDougall 75

Airdrie United

Stallard 64
Watt 68
Forsyth 88 og
Blockley 90


Two goals in the final minutes of the game earned Airdrie a priceless three points at the Bet Butler Stadium on Saturday.

Manager Jimmy Boyle underlined the importance of this match, following the 7-0 reverse to Partick Thistle, with some strong words in the build up.

And his players responded with a battling second-half performance which culminated in overturning a 3-2 deficit as time ran out.

Boyle made four changes to the team defeated at Firhill. Michael Hart, Alan Cook, Jamie Bain and Ryan Donnelly all missed out with Grant Evans, Marc Warren, John Boyle and Paul Di Giacomo starting.

However, it was the Sons, under the temporary management of Jack Ross following Alan Adamson's dismissal, who took the lead in the 23rd minute when ex-Diamond Bryan Prunty converted a James Creaney cross.

Dumbarton doubled their advantage four minutes later. Scott Agnew was given a second opportunity to whip in the ball from the right-hand side with Jim Lister turning it home.

The play of on-loan Motherwell winger Joshua Watt was a positive for Airdrie and it was he who delivered for Kieron Stallard who made it 2-1 in the 64th minute.

And Watt got on the scoresheet himself when he slotted past keeper Jamie Ewings after a tremendous run and nice ball from Di Giacomo.

The contest swung back in favour of the home side in the 75th minute when Steven McDougall, another ex-Airdrie player, was allowed to run into the box and fire home.

But the freezing fans would be treated to a crazy finish. From an uncleared corner, Nathan Blockley drove the ball against Ross Forsyth with it then squirting into the net.

Blockley would go on to pop up with the winner in the final minute when he guided a Gavin Griffin cross past Ewings at the back post to complete a thrilling comeback.

Airdrie boss Boyle said: "We gave away cheap goals but the players rolled their sleeves up and I'm delighted with the victory."

Colin Paterson at The Bet Butler Stadium.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page