top of page

Monday December 26, 2011

Irn Bru SFL Division 2

Forfar Athletic




Templeman 15
Motion 18

Airdrie United

Lynch 42
McLaren 45
Morton 90

Match Gallery

SUPERSUB Scott Morton was the Diamonds' hero at Forfar, as Airdrie came from 2:0 down to turn the match on its head and secure an injury-time win.

The Diamonds travelled to wind-battered Station Park for a boxing day fixture against Forfar Athletic - who they had failed to beat in this season's two previous league meetings, with manager Jimmy Boyle making a number of changes to the starting line-up that lost 3:2 to Brechin last Saturday.

Out went suspended captain Paul Lovering, goalkeeper Connor Fairley, midfielder Phil Johnston and striker John Boyle, with Paul McKane, Kevin Green, Graeme Goodall and Nathan Blockley taking to the field.

Forfar included on-loan Aberdeen goalkeeper Jamie Langfield, farmed out to the Angus club as he recovers from injury.

The makeshift Airdrie side failed to deal with the blustery conditions and found themselves two goals behind after only 18 minutes.

Chris Templeman opened the scoring in the 15th minute, placing the ball through the legs of Paul McKane from a tight angle after the ball was worked through to him on the right.

Only three minutes later Forfar doubled their lead, and it was one for Paul McKane to forget. With the wind behind him, Forfar's Kevin Motion tried his luck from 25 yards, and despite appearing to have the shot covered, McKane fumbled the ball into the net.

As the first half drew to a close, the Diamonds started to settle and launched a comeback through Sean Lynch in the 42nd minute. Nathan Blockley picked up possession in the middle of the park, and found Willie McLaren advancing on the left. His cutback found Sean Lynch, who steadied himself and placed the ball past Langfield.

Two minutes into first half stoppage time, Airdrie were level. Kieron Stallard brought the ball out of defence and squeezed the ball through to Jamie Stevenson. His drilled square ball picked out McLaren, who made no mistake.

Jimmy Boyle's men looked to take control in the second half, and Forfar didn't do themselves any favours when Chris Hegarty was red-carded for a professional foul after 64 minutes.

With the game looking as though it was heading for a draw, Scott Morton replaced Ryan Donnelly up-front for Airdrie with three minutes remaining.

That man Morton popped up deep into injury time, a wind-assisted corner kick finding him at the back post, where he fired home to seal the win for Airdrie.

Stuart Mathie, with thanks to June Callison at Station Park.

Photographs © Forfar Athletic FC. Click to view full size.

bottom of page