top of page

Saturday October 22, 2011

Irn Bru SFL Division 2





Gilhaney 29 pen

Airdrie United

Stevenson 37


BATTLING Airdrie earned a point despite being reduced to ten men for the third successive game.

The Diamonds had centre-back Kevin Green sent-off on his first professional start but Jamie Stevenson's equaliser saw the spoils shared at The Rock.

Manager Jimmy Boyle was missing the banned Kieron Stallard so Green was drafted into the starting line-up with Derek Holmes coming in for the injured John Boyle (ankle).

Dumbarton were full of confidence following a 2-1 win over Albion Rovers on Tuesday night and went close through Scott Agnew.

And Conor Fairley then turned wide a low shot from Mark Gilhaney after opposite No 1 Stephen Grindlay denied Stevenson.

A speculative strike from Rhys Devlin almost caught out Grindlay midway through the first half, but the goalie recovered to alleviate the danger.

The home side opened the scoring in the 29th minute after Craig Hill brought down Pat Walker in the area.

Referee David Somers pointed to the spot and Grindlay stepped up to fire low into the corner of the net.

However, the Diamonds were level eight minutes later. Donnelly fed Stevenson who took the ball round Grindlay before slotting home from a narrow angle.

Airdrie's hopes of securing a positive result suffered a dent in the 40th minute, though, when Green received his marching orders.

He fouled ex-Airdrie forward Prunty who was clean through on goal and in possession of a clear goalscoring opportunity.

From the main stand, it had looked like Prunty might have tripped himself up, but both Green and boss Boyle conceded that the decision was correct.

Airdrie started the second half strongly and should have made it 2-1 in the 56th minute.

Youngster Fraser Keast found himself in a central position with only Grindlay to beat but fired straight at the Sons custodian.

At the other end, Walker was denied by Fairley who then blocked from Agnew as Dumbarton threatened on the counter-attack.

In the 70th minute, a low shot from Donnelly was cleared away in the six-yard box by Alan Lithgow.

The Sons responded with James Creaney's deep cross to the back post volleyed wide by Lithgow in the dying minutes.

Nearly five minutes of stoppage-time was played - mainly due to head injuries suffered by Hill, Sean Lynch and Sons substitute David Winters - but neither side could find a winner.

Colin Paterson at The Strathclyde Homes Stadium.

Photographs © Robert Dalzell. Click to view full size.

bottom of page