top of page

November 12, 2022

cinch League 1





Lewis Jamieson 87


Jason Brown 33


Lewis Jamieson’s sixth goal in four games rescued a point for Airdrie, but the Diamonds will feel they should have got the win after spending long spells camped in Peterhead’s half.

A slow start from Rhys McCabe’s men saw the visitors hold a half-time lead, but it took an 87th-minute equaliser to level the scores as the Diamonds failed to turn their pressure into victory.

The hosts named the same starting XI and bench which won 1-0 at Clyde last weekend, with striker Jamieson looking to keep up his impressive scoring run.

An early foul by Jason Brown saw the defender booked and gave McCabe the chance to test keeper Tom Ritchie, but the young Aberdeen loanee did well to pluck the goalbound effort from under his bar.

A ninth-minute McCabe header was deflected over by Callum Fordyce before Michael Hewitt burst through on goal a minute later, but his shot was well blocked.

Jamieson almost found the net with some 12th-minute improvisation, backheeling toward goal as Justin Devenny’s low pass fell behind him, but the effort was blocked - as was Calum Gallagher’s follow-up.

Ritchie parried Cammy Ballantyne’s angled effort on 23 minutes, and the keeper made a good point-blank block when the Airdrie defender followed in from close range.

A 27th-minute Danny Strachan header was easy for Dean Lyness in the Airdrie goal, but six minutes later the keeper was caught out when a corner kick was headed back across the face of goal for Jason Brown to head home.

Things could have gone from bad to worse for Airdrie when Peterhead broke up their attack from the kick off and Hewitt again found himself through on goal, this time his deflected shot span off the foot of the post to safety.

McCabe had another dead ball chance on 36 minutes, but this time Ritchie reacted well to tip the ball onto the post.

Two late chances for Jamieson came to nothing, and the visitors took their lead into the break.

A half-time change saw Dean McMaster replacing Devenny, and the Diamonds showed an increase in tempo and attacking intent from the off.

Gallagher was unlucky to be beaten to Jamieson’s deflected effort three minutes after the restart, and the striker send a header wide of the target from Charlie Telfer’s corner a minute later.

Euan Deveney almost grabbed a spectacular first Airdrie goal on 51 minutes, cutting in on his right foot and curling a lovely strike just wide of the upright.

Ballantyne was joining the attack at every opportunity, and saw his 57th-minute strike go close from a tight angle.

Ritchie had confidently gathered a number of crosses, but he dropped Euan Deveney’s outswinger on the hour mark and was relieved to see the ball breaking kindly for the visiting defence, who scrambled clear.

Deveney and Ballantyne both went close again as the Diamonds increased the pressure, but the Blue Toon held firm and had a rare sight of goal on 67 minutes when Andrew McCarthy sent a 25-yard drive into the side netting.

Andrew McDonald was fortunate to be on the end of some lenient refereeing on 73 minutes, Barry Cook electing to show a yellow card after the defender had chased Callum Smith down the wing and taken him out with a swinging boot.

The home fans were further frustrated when another high challenge from French midfielder Julien Carré was only met with a caution.

As Airdrie tried to maintain their attack despite the visitors successfully breaking up play, Gallagher hooked a shot over after a deflected cross fell his way on 79 minutes.

An 84th-minute Airdrie corner was headed for goal but deflected clear as once again the Diamonds failed to get the break of the ball, and it started to look like it just wasn’t going to be their day.

Fordyce landed a back-post header on the roof of the net on 87 minutes, but the Diamonds next attack brought the equaliser. Gallagher held the ball up well before squaring to Smith, and the ball broke to Jamieson who squeezed home despite the close attention of McDonald and Strachan.

A stoppage time effort from Peterhead substitute Connor O’Keefe flew well over Lyness’s bar, but Ballantyne had a gilt-edged chance to win it for Airdrie with the last action of the match, Telfer’s square pass breaking for the defender to arrow a shot at goal, but Jason Brown threw himself in front of the shot to block.

A frustrating afternoon for Airdrie ended with the final whistle, but the visit of Kelty Hearts next week gives the Diamonds another chance to put their home advantage to good use.

Stuart Mathie at Excelsior Stadium.

Photos © John Steven. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page