top of page

November 5, 2022

cinch League 1






Lewis Jamieson 79


There were few fireworks at the ZLX Stadium, but the Diamonds will be delighted with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Clyde with Lewis Jamieson on the scoresheet again.

The striker went to the top of the club’s scoring charts as he followed last weekend’s hat-trick with the only goal of the game, finding the net for the third match in a row.

Rhys McCabe went with the same starting XI that won handsomely against Montrose last Saturday, with Academy youngster Dylan Watt joining the substitutes after his double in last night’s Advanced Youth League match.

Ex-Diamonds Neil Parry and Kurtis Roberts lined up for the Bully Wee, with Jordan Allan on the bench for Allan Moore’s side.

There was little to light up a dull first half, with Clyde making the early running as full-backs Cammy Ballantyne and Euan Deveney were forced into good blocks from Morgaro Gomis and Roberts.

Airdrie hit back through Calum Gallagher, whose twisting header was gathered by Parry after a dangerous Ballantyne cross on ten minutes.

Gallagher was in a good position again four minutes later, taking Jamieson’s headed knockdown on the half-volley but curling just over the bar.

The big Clyde defence was mopping up long balls from the Diamonds’ deep-lying midfield, Peter Grant heading everything that came his way while Erik Sula blocked well from Callum Smith on 15 minutes after a lovely McCabe pass.

Parry gathered from Jamieson five minutes later before Gomis fired well over at the other end.

Charlie Telfer was next to have a go for Airdrie, but his 25th-minute effort was over, as was Ray Grant’s shot three minutes later.

Airdrie’s first penalty appeal of the afternoon came two minutes before half-time as Jamieson looked to be wrestled to the ground after a good run, but referee Matthew MacDermid was unimpressed.

After the break the Diamonds showed more of a willingness to return to their trademark quick passing style, and it almost reaped rewards when a nice move saw Jamieson fire just wide from outside the box on 50 minutes.

Smith was denied by a well-timed Grant challenge a minute later, while Dean Lyness easily gathered a shot from Clyde’s top scorer Ross Cunningham at the other end.

Cunningham had another sight of goal on the hour mark, but his shot across goal cleared the far post.

Airdrie increased the tempo as the game moved into the final half hour, Deveney desperately unlucky to see a curling right-footed strike touched wide on 66 minutes before Callum Fordyce sent a powerful effort over the bar from the resultant corner.

Jamieson and Cunningham exchanged efforts as both sides looked for the breakthrough, but again the defences came out on top.

When Deveney slammed a 73rd-minute ball across the face of goal with nobody on hand to touch home, it started to feel like it might be one of those days for the Diamonds, and a block from Jamieson’s shot a minute later compounded the travelling fans’ frustration.

The visitors were handed a golden opportunity on 78 minutes, however, Ballantyne feeding Jamieson for a one-two with Telfer in the box before a clumsy Jon Craig challenge brought the striker to the deck, and this time the referee pointed to the spot.

The St Mirren loanee picked himself up to take the spot-kick, and although the penalty was parried by Parry, Jamieson tucked away the rebound to hand the Diamonds a lead over the club he spent last season with.

Cunningham’s 84th-minute effort sailed over Lyness’s bar before Airdrie were screaming for another penalty as Ballantyne was tripped on the bye-line, but Clyde survived the claims.

Two late saves from Lyness were enough to see Airdrie to a second win, and a second clean sheet, on the bounce.

Stuart Mathie at ZLX Stadium.

Photos © John Steven. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page