top of page

October 20, 2022

cinch League 1

FC Edinburgh




Danny Handling 26
Ouzy See 59
Emmanuel Johnson 90+5


Lewis Jamieson 47


Airdrie’s comeback was undone by a bizarre FC Edinburgh goal as the Citizens went on to take all three points at Meadowbank.

The Diamonds don’t have their troubles to seek after a poor run of form, but an improved performance against a side who had inflicted a 6-0 home defeat earlier in the season ultimately came to nothing.

Gabby McGill replaced Lewis Jamieson in the only change to the side that started at Alloa last weekend, but the switch was reversed after only ten minutes with the English striker limping off after an ankle knock.

Both goalkeepers had had a touch by then, Robbie Mutch holding Justin Devenny’s deflected effort in the first minute with Dean Lyness reacting well to Ouzy See’s close-range shot six minutes later.

Calum Gallagher showed good strength to start a 13th-minute attack, Liam Fontaine blocking the striker’s cross before the ball broke to Charlie Telfer, who beat Mutch with a curling effort but could only watch as it came back off the crossbar.

Callum Smith was unlucky with an angled effort six minutes later, which whistled past the far post.

Player-manager Rhys McCabe blocked a 24th-minute header from a looping Brydon cross, with experienced defender Fontaine going close a minute later after nicking the ball off Smith’s toes.

The home side went in front on 26 minutes, See picking out Handling just inside the box and the former Hibs man turned and picked his spot with a cultured finish.

Gallagher and Jamieson were on the wrong end of contentious offside decisions as Airdrie’s luck looked to be out once again, with Smith sending a twisting header just wide ten minutes before the break.

A frantic end to the first half saw Telfer and Devenny going close before Handling forced a diving save from Lyness, followed by Smith and McMaster efforts which cleared the bar.

The Diamonds continued their push for an equaliser after the interval, and it took only two minutes to come as Smith pressured Brydon into a headed passback which Jamieson intercepted and lifted over Mutch and into the net.

Buoyed by the equaliser, Airdrie saw a number of efforts blocked as the ball pinged about the hosts’ penalty box on 50 minutes before Fontaine sent a glancing header wide eight minutes later.

Disaster struck on 59 minutes when McCabe’s clearance from a harmless cross spun up in the air. Lyness rushed out to fist clear, but his punch hit See and spun into the Diamonds’ net via the post.

Airdrie continued to press and Mutch was at full stretch to deny Gallagher from close range on 74 minutes before the keeper smothered a Jamieson effort four minutes later.

Devenny fired wide with ten minutes remaining and the hosts got away with some rough treatment of Jamieson on the edge of the box as the clock ticked down.

Mutch caught a stoppage-time Devenny header before Edinburgh sub John Robertson shot straight at Lyness, but the home side sealed the win with 95 minutes on the clock, Emmanuel Johnson taking advantage of miscommunication at the back to drive along the bye-line and fire high into the net.

A tough tie against Montrose follows for the Diamonds, who will be glad to get back to the Excelsior after some disappointing away days.

Stuart Mathie at Meadowbank Stadium

Photos © John Steven. Click to view full-size.

bottom of page